Fabia VRS - Steering/Tracking - Inspection

Bloitus

Good Afternoon fellow briskodians, long time reader of the forums however never really had the time to post... until now! I've spent a long time searching through the threads to help diagnose a problem i'm having with my Mk1 Fabia VRS however i've not found anything definitive which accuratly describes the problem i am having, hence the reason for this post... so here goes;

In short, when rolling along a perfectly flat road, my car pulls slightly to the right, not left as other posts mention. This is not so much a problem however when the engine is on-load/accelerating the car pulls heavily to the right, meaning you have to actively have to steer left to correct it (this is like torque steer but it even occurs even under the slightest acceleration). As you can imagine this can get very tiresome constantly correcting the car even when the road is flat! It gets worse on uneven roads where the road camber naturally falls to the right.

So you are aware, i've had the wheel alignment checked and wheels recently balanced and there appears to be no uneven wear on the tyres. I still do suspect the tracking although it still doesn't really explain the pull when engine is on-load/accelerating.

Has anyone come across this before?? :wonder:

I have finally given up investigating this my self and decided to book my car in for an inspection at my local Skoda dealer on Tuesday 25th October (£90 inc vat btw!) :o

Simple things first, all tyres same profile and same make on an axle, all at correct pressures.

Rear beam axle, not bent due to jacking on axle cross beam.

Console housing to subframe, and subframe to chassis alignment correct.

Console bushes in good condition.

Anti roll bar bushes and drop links OK.

Less obvious. Broken spring on drivers side. Can be hard to spot if it breaks near the top at the upper mount bearing.

Accident damage, resulting in bent chassis rails.

Simple things first, all tyres same profile and same make on an axle, all at correct pressures.

Rear beam axle, not bent due to jacking on axle cross beam.

Console housing to subframe, and subframe to chassis alignment correct.

Console bushes in good condition.

Anti roll bar bushes and drop links OK.

Less obvious. Broken spring on drivers side. Can be hard to spot if it breaks near the top at the upper mount bearing.

Accident damage, resulting in bent chassis rails.

Hi MoggyTech, in answer to you questions:

All tyres are the same make (toyo protes tr1) and are fitted in pairs, meaning front pair are evenly worn and back pair are evenly worn and tyre pressures is 32 at the front pair and 30 at the rear (i've been checking that regularly).

I'll check the rear beam axle tonight as it has been jacked relatively recently at a garage when getting tyres fitted. Console bushes are ok (no knocks to speak of) and alignment check was conducted (have print out somewhere) when i had tyres fitted at micheldever.

I've not checked Anti-roll bushes and drop links and will check the springs later and i can confirm the car has no accident damage.

Thanks for taking time to post!

Sticky brake caliper? Wearing bearing? Previous damage to the steering rach from a collision?

When my Furby got intermate with a round about kerb one snowy winter the guy fixing it removed the rack and sent ot off for analysis becuase he'd previously fixed a Leon with similar damage and that'd been pulling left all the time with absolutely no explanation.. turned out the steering rack had developed a bias from being smacked so hard.

Just a few more causes if you exhaust the above list.

Sticky brake caliper? Wearing bearing? Previous damage to the steering rach from a collision?

When my Furby got intermate with a round about kerb one snowy winter the guy fixing it removed the rack and sent ot off for analysis becuase he'd previously fixed a Leon with similar damage and that'd been pulling left all the time with absolutely no explanation.. turned out the steering rack had developed a bias from being smacked so hard.

Just a few more causes if you exhaust the above list.

Cheers Rob, the list is certainly getting longer!

Brakes are good, no sticking calipers and there appears to be no play in the wheel bearings (following vigirous wheel shaking). I've had the car for about 3 years now and i don't recall clipping any kerbs recently!... i think the steering rack inspection i'll leave to the skoda mechs on tuesday (I wouldn't know where to start!)

I had same symptoms after fitting new wishbone bushes; rear Cupra, front Powerflex.

All was fine for about 50 miles until the o/s Powerflex bush started to break up (faulty component, replaced by Powerflex immediately - no quibble, I would add).

So, check your front wishbone bushes?

I had same symptoms after fitting new wishbone bushes; rear Cupra, front Powerflex.

All was fine for about 50 miles until the o/s Powerflex bush started to break up (faulty component, replaced by Powerflex immediately - no quibble, I would add).

So, check your front wishbone bushes?

Morning All,

well i had a good look around the car yesterday morning and i could potentially have 2 problems.

Firstly drivers side front spring looks visibly lower compared to passenger side front and the driver front corner is creaking under compression.

Secondly I noticed that there appears to be a different wishbone bush on the drivers front to the passenger front. The drivers side is an aftermarket variety (possibly powerflex "purple") and passenger side is stock. I do remember about a year ago i had a knock on the passenger side and had a bush replaced which obviously was done with a stock part (unknowing to me it had aftermarket bushes fitted by previous owner).

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'm dropping my car into my local skoda dealer tonight for its inspection tomorrow and i'll try and divulge as much information as i can, which they may not take any interest in, who knows, it all helps in my opinion!

Cheers,

Bloitus

After all that work make sure you get proper 4 wheel alignment done. I suggest to you look for places that will do and hand you print-out (before and after) so you have proof of whats been done.

After all that work make sure you get proper 4 wheel alignment done. I suggest to you look for places that will do and hand you print-out (before and after) so you have proof of whats been done.

good plan, Micheldever tyres near basingstoke is quite near me and i've had a print out from them before, so i'll probably pay them a visit once i've had any work done.

good plan, Micheldever tyres near basingstoke is quite near me and i've had a print out from them before, so i'll probably pay them a visit once i've had any work done.

If they have trust in their work and equipment they will not have any problems to hand you print-out. Make sure you get one.

Ok, so, got the car back from the dealers and this is what they have said:

Check of steering/suspension conducted, nothing is visually bent, Road test confirms car is pulling to the right. Performance style solid console bushes fitted which could possibly affect wheel alignment at front, checked and adjusted tyre pressures and confirm no uneven wear on tyres. Suggested to carry out wheel alignment.

Speaking with the dealer they said they could do the wheel alignment but it was expensive due to the cost of the labour (£120). So I'll be braving the queues at Micheldever tyres on Saturday morning to get a wheel alignment (and print out).

Whilst the dealer had the car up on the ramps for the inspection, they actually checked over the entire mechanics of the car and advised on a few things that would need work in the non to distant future. I have to admit i was quite impressed with the service. A bit on the expensive side but took a lot of time and effort to explain what they had done and what to do next. They probably see my car as a potential gold mine ;) Anyway... inspection complete 0.8 hours labour + Vat = £72.00