What Is Causing This? The Fuel Gauge-Erratic

bumface

Hello folks.

The day before the below, I filled my car up the brim with Diesel.

Sometime ago I was driving my Skoda Fabia vRS and the fuel gauge went ping.

I looked at the dash and seen my fuel gauge was dropping down fast, it was just like I was having a leak.

I nursed it home-thinking that I had a bare minimum of fuel. Got home and had a look underneath-and could not see any leaks at all.

Nursed it to the nearest garage to fill it up again managed to get about £2.00 of diesel and the filler cut out.

Again this happened whilst I was having a ‘steady’ drive to Wales, (the tank was ¾ full) I was not pushing it, more like a Sunday afternoon drive and again it happened.

But this time I checked with the cars computer and that told me that I had about twenty miles in the tank. Being in the middle of Wales, miles from a garage, I panicked. I was driving like an old person.

About thirty miles later the gauge shot up to ¾ again.

Recently it has been doing the usual consumption, 55 to 60 mpg

Does/has anyone ever had this happen to them before, have you solved the problem, if so how?

I was thinking about getting rid of Fabia vRS-but I haven’t got the heart, especially after recently when It corrects itself.

Any offers of advice please? Thank you

Lift rear seat and prise off large black plastic cover (round). Under that is the plug for the fuel sender. Remove plug, clean contacts, refit, job done. If it still does it, suspect fuel lever sender faulty, possibly caused by diesel cooler under car not working correctly (fins blocked with crud.)

Lift rear seat and prise off large black plastic cover (round). Under that is the plug for the fuel sender. Remove plug, clean contacts, refit, job done. If it still does it, suspect fuel lever sender faulty, possibly caused by diesel cooler under car not working correctly (fins blocked with crud.)