gearbox removal

Hi all,

I am going to be replacing my gearbox with a reconditioned one.

My first question is there a tutorial on here on the best way to do it or coul;d someone give me some pointers.

second question is i was planning on doing the clutch whilst the box is out however my local skoda parts place wants the best part of 250 quid for the friction disk, pressure plate and calm unit (i assume release bearing but with the release arm and guide tube) is this the correct price? if so can i just replace the parts needed ie maybe the friction plate and leave the rest??? or am i causing myself more probs further down the line?

thanks for all your advice

Coop

I did my clutch at weekend. You need to remove battery, airbox, starter motor, gear linkages, clutch pipe (needs clamping), and reverse light sensor from the top. From underneath you need to remove passenger side wishbone, both driveshafts which youll need an m10 12 spline tool for, also the subframe as the box just will not fit out when its still in place. I supported engine with a hoist and the gearbox with a trolley jack, undid the bolts and lowered them both together. Withthe subframe out the way the box comes out no trouble

I did my clutch at weekend. You need to remove battery, airbox, starter motor, gear linkages, clutch pipe (needs clamping), and reverse light sensor from the top. From underneath you need to remove passenger side wishbone, both driveshafts which youll need an m10 12 spline tool for, also the subframe as the box just will not fit out when its still in place. I supported engine with a hoist and the gearbox with a trolley jack, undid the bolts and lowered them both together. Withthe subframe out the way the box comes out no trouble

ok thanks for that:)

coop

It's usually booked at 5-6 hours labour to change the clutch on a vRS. I don't see it being massively different on a 1.2 really, everything's still in pretty much the same place, it's just a different part (5 speed box and smaller clutch).

Ah, sorry, I misread your post :) if it makes you feel any better, my SMF and clutch kit arrived last night from Jabba in exchange for 990 of my English pounds :(

Is that price for genuine parts from Skoda/TPS? EuroCarParts do clutches for Fabias and have a 15% discount on I think, have a look in their forum section. On a 1.2 I wouldn't think you need anything tough or uprated so ECP OEM equivalent should be fine.

Did it in my mates dads garage over a pit. Coops my clutch came to £575 for smf, 5 paddle clutch, pressure plate, and release bearing all from cg motorsport. The paddle clutch and preasure plate were £280

Just to let you know Unit 18 charged me £125 to replace my gearbox with a spare. that included filling it with new OEM oil which is £20 a litre from the dealer (needs 2.3 litres)

If your close to them it might be easier :thumbup: