A Good Time to Change?

nokiauk

Currently I have a ex-demo Yeti 2.0 110 Diesel 4x4 in Elegance trim with a few extras (metallic, park assist, silver rails, spare tyre) which is currently about 18 months old and has covered 10,500 miles. Not sure of its trade in value but given its a diesel and 4x4 and given waiting lists etc and current used prices would expect around £18k.

Drive the Deal are quoting £20,670 for a new one to my spec (metallic, f+r sensors, silver rails, spare, TPM, Heated Screen) which is approx 8% discount.

Question is, is it worth paying the extra approx £2k to trade in now? The order time of 8-9 months doesn't bother me as I already have a Yeti, the real question is whether a dealer will offer a trade in price now based on the order lead time and whether I can get any of the local dealers to meet the DTD price, as I have a trade-in I can't use DTD direct.

My other option is to keep the car as is and see what prices/lead time are like in a year/18 months and then place an order just as the car approaches its third birthday.

Where is your 18k value from?

Because that sounds like dealer selling territory to me, if you sell to a dealer or sell privately I doubt you'd get that figure personally.

I would expect used prices to start falling soon as there are more about.

We are trading in ours (£16.5k) in March and have been given a price of £13k by the dealer in PX. So not too bad for a Sept 2010.

But ours is low milage. Currently 5200 miles after 14 months. Even though it's the 1.2 petrol DSG so has a shorter waiting list from new.

The other thing that could hurt your price is being ex-demo. So there is two owners in the V5c alreay, a new keeper at 18 months old would be the third.

But overall, I would say it is a good time to change from my perspective as I personally believe used values will fall over the next year or so, particularly as we can't be far away frm the mkII version coming out...

• 10 months later...

Just for information. I purchased an ex demo 140bhp 4x4 Elegance with park assist for £20k in Nov 2009, with 1000 miles on the clock. I went back to the same dealer in Mar 2012 with a sob story saying I was broke and I need to sell my Yeti with 15k on the clock. I was given £17k there and then.

Glad to see this forum is as active as ever. I miss it more than the YETI. Regards to all.

Edited by Ray_Green