Parking sensors on 06 estate

hello there,

haven't been on here for a long time, but am still very pleased with my 06 octavia elegance estate, in fact I love it.

Want to ask has anyone had a problem with their rear parking sensors. My right hand side comes on beeping and showing very close to something when it has rained, or just after rain. I took it to the garage today, they replaced with a new sensor but it still did it. The mechanic says that it must be the control box. My concern is that this only ever happens in wet weather, the mechanic seems to think it is probably the control box, but it really never is a problem when it is dry weather. After wet weather it usually takes about a day or two to correct itself and then it is fine until wet weather again.

Has anybody else expereience this or have any ideas? Do I need a new control box. I love my car but this gets on my nerves,I can't take them out completely because as its such a long car I do need them, but I like this type of thing to work too. Ok lads, yes I'm, a lady driver :)

hello there,

haven't been on here for a long time, but am still very pleased with my 06 octavia elegance estate, in fact I love it.

Want to ask has anyone had a problem with their rear parking sensors. My right hand side comes on beeping and showing very close to something when it has rained, or just after rain. I took it to the garage today, they replaced with a new sensor but it still did it. The mechanic says that it must be the control box. My concern is that this only ever happens in wet weather, the mechanic seems to think it is probably the control box, but it really never is a problem when it is dry weather. After wet weather it usually takes about a day or two to correct itself and then it is fine until wet weather again.

Has anybody else expereience this or have any ideas? Do I need a new control box. I love my car but this gets on my nerves,I can't take them out completely because as its such a long car I do need them, but I like this type of thing to work too. Ok lads, yes I'm, a lady driver :)

I had an 06 plate estate Octavia with an intermittent fault on the rear sensors, often just one sensor.

These are known to be problematic but the solution is often very simple - make sure the sensors are as clean and dry as possible - I found if I washed the car it may lead to a fault but a quick and good blast of air to blow out an residual water did the trick. In winter with the salt and road film build up it used to do the same. Give them a good clean and polish and see how you go.

Regards

Chubbs

The sensors have been known to be a little tempremental when wet, quite a common complaint on here. They also report that when dry everything returns to normal.

Most people complain after the car is jetwashed and water gets either in or behind the sensor, once completely dry all is well. Rain drops running over the sensor, or dirt caught over the sensor can cause issues too.

How did you know which sensor was giving you problems, was it showing on the radio display?

The reason I ask is that another member had a problem, the fault code suggested it was a certain sensor which was replaced but made no difference. By chance they swapped the sensor to the opposite side which cured the problem. Somehow the car was confusing which sensor was where...

Thanks everyone. It has been a problem just after the warranty ran out, a long time ago now. I'm hoping now they've investigated that it won't be permanent, you know what these things are like, sometimes having been looked at they are worse. If not I may consider living with it if they are that temperamental, one side is better than none if its only in the wet :) especially if they can't be sure its the control box :( don't really want to pay for something that won't work.

Silver 1011 - they tried two new sensors and one from the side that works but they still didn't solve the problem. Thnks for your reply, much appreciated.

By the way my car has now done 102000 miles, and she still looks lovely, I still love the drive, the space,the spec, and she averages 59mpg too (my drive to work is country lanes and up and down dual carriageways, on a motorway run she averages well over 65mpg, it's just a shame about the sensor.

By the way my car has now done 102000 miles, and she still looks lovely, I still love the drive, the space,the spec, and she averages 59mpg too (my drive to work is country lanes and up and down dual carriageways, on a motorway run she averages well over 65mpg, it's just a shame about the sensor.

You could always disconnect the problematic sensor/s, at least you would get a true reading on the others and I'm sure a minimum of two sensors would prevent the old 'hit the post in the supermarket car park' syndrome!

Chubbs

I often considered spraying a little Silicon spray into the sensor to act as a water repellent.

What are your views on this guys?

Or maybe a little WD40 ?