diesel vrs

max vrs

I think the Twincharged TSi was always going to end up a "dead end" in terms of long life span - afterall, why bother with a much more complex engine that "only" makes 20bhp more than the most potent version of the turbo-only 1.4?

As for a derv vRS, I`m hoping a derv vRS will come out. Count me in for one if it does! A tweaked 1.6CR TDi would be a good substitue for it until then. And probably end up being pretty close in terms of performance to a stock vRS after a bit of fettling.

I had 46mpg going up and back to Preston yesterday and I wasn't hanging about. More than happy with that. As for remapping a derv Monte to be faster than a vRS you're dreaming. Even a mapped Mk1 isn't as fast (there are a few exceptions). Loving DSG and I have no hesitation whatsoever. Being gentle and smooth is key. My dad drove it for the first time yesterday and he's never driven an auto before and he loved it. Was really impressed by the hill hold. He also noticed how you only need to barely touch the throttle and it's up to 30. He didn't try the paddles but I'll show him those on the weekend. I can see him getting one in a few years.

As for people continuously slagging off the engine, give it a rest. Technology always moves on and not getting a Mk2 vRS because a new 1.6T engine is coming "soon" is like owning a PS2 and not getting a PS3 because it will replaced by a better one "eventually". It's a dull argument. If you always lived by that rule you wouldn't buy anything. It's awesome to drive and with a remap and a few mods even better and bang for buck I can't think of much that can beat it. Going on about the fuel economy not being as good as a diesel is pointless. I can't think of many hot hatches that do 46+mpg on a run. Plus by me even Momentum is cheaper than diesel. Derv is £1.399 and Momentum is £1.349. Cheap enough to tax, relatively cheap to insure (£60 less than a Mk1), easy to drive in town and fun on a B road. It's a no brainer.