Hissing noise

tomsuperb

Hello

I have the superb 2.0 tdi (I know the obvious answer is sell it, financially embarrassed due to upcoming festive season!!). When I switch off the car there is a hissing noise from the engine bay and seems to be some water on the floor. Haven't been able to have a look yet but wondering if anyone else has had the same fault and can point me in the right direction!!

Cheers

Tom

Edited by tomsuperb

Water leakage may not be unusual, but I'm not sure water on the floor is either that normal or nothing to be worried about...

Have you checked/modified the pollen filter housing?

edit: - just thought, by 'floor' do you mean the floor of the car, or the ground? If ground, then everything is indeed normal and nothing to worry about :D

Edited by sidewaze samm

Water leakage may not be unusual, but I'm not sure water on the floor is either that normal or nothing to be worried about...

Have you checked/modified the pollen filter housing?

edit: - just thought, by 'floor' do you mean the floor of the car, or the ground? If ground, then everything is indeed normal and nothing to worry about :D

I meant on the ground, I think its ok there's certainly no coolant loss. I was just a bit concerned as have been busy lately and haven't done much to the car. I had to top the coolant up a couple of weeks ago but it hasn't lost any since. The climate control thing makes sense as my wife's jazz does it, I am the proverbial tightarse and run the climate on Eco a lot so wouldn't notice!!. I haven't modified the filter housing but I keep an eye on the bungs and make sure when I wash the car the water is running through to underneath, preventative work is very good but I'm always worried about causing problems that aren't there plus my cars oma ban so I always park it with the front downhill so the water doesn't run back to the car

Cheers

Tom

Remove both bungs and replace the pollen filter housing outer seal with mastic strip - or this problem will come back to bite you. Hard.

It's one of VAG's finest c0ckups.

rotodiesel.

Is it just a case of removing he foam seal and putting silicone on instead or putting silicone on top of the foam?

Cheers

Tom

No.

You need to remove the pollen filter housing from the scuttle (3 nuts) and replace the outer foam seal. It's not the inner foam seal you can see through the pollen filter aperture.

rotodiesel.

Ok cheers, will get wild with the sealant ASAP I think just in case!!

Cheers

Tom

You may need a puller to get the wiper arms off - and be very careful not to break the scuttle trim as it's very brittle.

You can't do this job properly without removing these items.

rotodiesel.

Ok no probs thanks for the advice

Tom

I didn't remove the wiper arms, and used plenty of MS5 (transparent silicone) after a thorough clean of the area of the seal. Works a treat.

Have not inspected the area for a year now, so probably should do

Edited by oh_superb

You don't NEED to remove the wipers - I didn't - but it would be a lot easier to get the filter housing out, and the battery too, if you do. Otherwise it is real pain. The filter housing is a very tight fiddly and awkward thing to remove and replace without removing the plastic scuttle cover thing (which needs the wipers to be removed first), and in the temperature at this time of year is more likely to fracture(not good!). The battery is heavy and a tight fit as well - so temporary use of a second pair of hands is useful in avoiding a trip to the osteopath. And the battery needs to come out to get to the bungs...

I think there's three nuts/bolts holding the housing in place. Don't fully undo the outside rear one - this will make it easier to put back together. Unless you've got tiny fingers. Or (presumably) you remove the wipers and the scuttle thingy.

cheers

You don't NEED to remove the wipers - I didn't - but it would be a lot easier to get the filter housing out, and the battery too, if you do. Otherwise it is real pain. The filter housing is a very tight fiddly and awkward thing to remove and replace without removing the plastic scuttle cover thing (which needs the wipers to be removed first), and in the temperature at this time of year is more likely to fracture(not good!). The battery is heavy and a tight fit as well - so temporary use of a second pair of hands is useful in avoiding a trip to the osteopath. And the battery needs to come out to get to the bungs...

I think there's three nuts/bolts holding the housing in place. Don't fully undo the outside rear one - this will make it easier to put back together. Unless you've got tiny fingers. Or (presumably) you remove the wipers and the scuttle thingy.

cheers

Thanks for the advice, am gonna have to give it a go for peace of mind, might try and borrow some wiper pulleys. Unfortunately my hands are like shovels so getting it done with them on will no doubt result in broken plastic!!!

Cheers

Tom

If you don't remove the wiper arms and scuttle trim you will be fitting the pollen filter housing "blind" and also sliding it in sideways. It would be almost impossible to make a good seal with the recommended mastic strip if you do this. The filter housing has to go straight down so that the upturned edge of the scuttle pressing hole enters the mastic. Slide the housing in and the mastic will be displaced.

Once the scuttle trim is dismantled it's an easy job. Make sure you remove the trim without bending it by sliding it towards the windscreen.

The job's only worth doing once - properly.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel