Shocking shocks

GocIR

Hi guys,

New member here. I am looking for some advice on upgrading the shock absorbers on my 07 Octivia VRS. I travel a lot on poor country roads and the ride has got very poor lately and I would like some advice on what my options are. I looked at some of the previous threads on this topic and the options all looked a little expensive.I'm not looking for very high spec, just something a bit more comfortable.

All advice would be much appeaciated.

GocIR

Welcome,

To be honest, your shocks are more than likely original so around 4 years old is pretty old for an OEM shock to still be functioning correctly. Their useful life is probably 30 - 40,000 miles then they will gradually degrade over time with most people not even realising this. I'd say just get a set of brand new OEM shocks as this will be more than likely the cheapest option for you and return your cars ride back to how it should be. (not including worn drop links, console bushes etc)

Edited by Fitz323

Welcome,

To be honest, your shocks are more than likely original so around 4 years old is pretty old for an OEM shock to still be functioning correctly. Their useful life is probably 30 - 40,000 miles then they will gradually degrade over time with most people not even realising this. I'd say just get a set of brand new OEM shocks as this will be more than likely the cheapest option for you and return your cars ride back to how it should be. (not including worn drop links, console bushes etc)

That sounds good. But the ride quality has always been a bit stiff on the VRS for country driving, if I wanted to improve this without going into serious money, are there any reasonable cost options?

Thanks Guys

GocIR

That sounds good. But the ride quality has always been a bit stiff on the VRS for country driving, if I wanted to improve this without going into serious money, are there any reasonable cost options?

Thanks Guys

GocIR

Would you class these as reasonably priced.

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=555747434

alot of people rate these quite highly.

Edited by Fitz323

Would you class these as reasonably priced.

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=555747434

alot of people rate these quite highly.

They look the buis and at the end of the day you only get what you pay for.

Is there anything else I should include when ordering these?

Thanks

GocIR

Personally I'd get some Eibach springs but thats me. You want a better ride so for you you'd be better off with OEM springs. What millage is your car as springs are relatively cheap and i'd get them replaced whilst the shock absorbers are off the car.

Personally I'd get some Eibach springs but thats me. You want a better ride so for you you'd be better off with OEM springs. What millage is your car as springs are relatively cheap and i'd get them replaced whilst the shock absorbers are off the car.

There is 80,000 miles on the clock.

There is 80,000 miles on the clock.

Your springs are probably fine on that mileage but you might want to check that the ride height is still the same as it was meant to be when it came out of he factory. If one or more of your shocks is knackered then the spring will be under more stress than is was designed to take. Me personally, i'd change them as your shocks and springs will be taken apart if you change the dampers so you may as well change the springs whilst your there.

Your springs are probably fine on that mileage but you might want to check that the ride height is still the same as it was meant to be when it came out of he factory. If one or more of your shocks is knackered then the spring will be under more stress than is was designed to take. Me personally, i'd change them as your shocks and springs will be taken apart if you change the dampers so you may as well change the springs whilst your there.

Thanks for the great advice.

GocIR