Tyre Change - Noticeable Difference

This week I have replaced the front tyres on my 170 CR TDi DSG Hatch from just ordinary Continentals to Continentals Contact Sport 3's (that's all I could find locally and was not prepared to wait) and I am astounded at how quiet the car has become. I had not appreciated how much noise from the road entered the cabin on previous tyres.

No doubt this will be at the expense of tyre wear as I had mananged almost 30,000 on previous set with just about 2mm remaining.

These were approved under my tyre service contract I have with the car and would certainly recommend them over standard Contis.

Fitted my 16 inch Continental TS830 winter tyres on Sunday and noticed a slightly different road noise but nothing dramatic. Looking forward to the first real snow in the next few days

Longer lasting tyres are generally worse performing on rain/snow/ice/slush, as the tyre compound is harder, more slippery and less "rubbery" in texture. Something worth keeping in mind when picking a new set. And they're often more noisy, especially on rear axle on VW group cars.

Last winter, I have actually pushed elderly couple's RWD car out of an iced up parking space. The tyre compound looked like plastic, not rubber. And they were main brand tyres, just the "low rolling resistance, eco" summer version.

I am not a great fan of Conti tyres, because to me they have often been a disappointment on quality for both car tyres and bicycle ones (4 bikes in the house).

Michelins seem to be much better made these days, and if you want value for money, comfort and good handling, Nokian H/V/Z/WR are the Skoda of tyres (except for eNtyre model which I do not recommend).

And they're often more noisy, especially on rear axle on VW group cars.

there is no point to create a myth about something being more or less on rear axle because its a VAG car. I suggest to be more careful with statement like this as rear axle of front has nothing to do with noise of tyres.

there is no point to create a myth about something being more or less on rear axle because its a VAG car. I suggest to be more careful with statement like this as rear axle of front has nothing to do with noise of tyres.

No, it is well known that tires on rear axle are worn in a saw pattern which causes quite a noise. This does not happen on front axle or only very limited. I think ADAC had an article about it and it is also my own observation. Another parameter affecting creation of the saw pattern on rear tires is width of the tires. The more wide tires on rear the more saw pattern and the more noise. However I am not sure about this problem and its relation to VAG group.

No, it is well known that tires on rear axle are worn in a saw pattern which causes quite a noise. This does not happen on front axle or only very limited. I think ADAC had an article about it and it is also my own observation. Another parameter affecting creation of the saw pattern on rear tires is width of the tires. The more wide tires on rear the more saw pattern and the more noise. However I am not sure about this problem and its relation to VAG group.

Rear tyre sawtooth wear occassionally happens on many cars, and is more camber/toe/suspension setup specific than VAG group specific.

But actually, on FWD cars, especially with more powerful engines (150bhp+) it is easier to sawtooth wear front axle tyres. Combination of heavy load and keeping engine close to full power for significant periods of time will do it, as I have found out. Again, FWD specific, not VAG.

The real problem of VAG cars is (and has been for many years) that when you put already sawtooth worn tyres onto rear axle, the noise easily intrudes into cabin. I know for a fact that BMWs, Volvos do not suffer anywhere near as much from this because of different design of rear suspension mounts (and setup). Even with correct working, quiet tyres VW group cars are generally noiser in the back and that is a fact. Previous Audi A6 for example had so good engine and wind noise insulation tha the only noise in the cabin you were left with was the droning rear tyre noise (and the fact that Audi supplied Pirellis from factory did not help).

Following the change of tyres I have noticed an increase in fuel consumption of about 7-8%. Previously I managed to get around 567 miles per tank average, but on the three tankfuls of diesel since the tyre change I am only averaging 523. I do not believe I have changed my driving style, the journey/roads used are the same, but it has got noticably colder and driving in wet conditions.

It probably is not so much increased rolling resitance but the fact that diesel fuel got winterized (added gelling preventers) and has now 5%-10% less energy content than at peak of summer. Plus the engine warms up slower which does not help economy.

It probably is not so much increased rolling resitance but the fact that diesel fuel got winterized (added gelling preventers) and has now 5%-10% less energy content than at peak of summer. Plus the engine warms up slower which does not help economy.

Bet they do not take this or DPF regeneration into consideration when calculating Co2 emmissions and Fuel Consumption Figures :-)

Bet they do not take this or DPF regeneration into consideration when calculating Co2 emmissions and Fuel Consumption Figures :-)