Please help me make up my mind

Hi everyone . My name is Cosmin and i'm from Romania . here i found the most active and interesting Skoda comunity in the internet , so i decided to ask for a hand of help .

Therefor , can someone please tell me which engine is better (fiability in time) between 1,6 MPI , 1,6 FSI and 1,9 TDI ? I don't really care about consumption differences , but i want to get the best engine of all these 3 .

I know FSI is very demanding and if it doesn't get the right fuel the consumption goes crazy . And also i had a drive test with an 1,6 FSI and i find that engine quite noisy . Do you think the 1,9 TDI is noisy ?

Please help me with some advices since i'm planning to give the order these days .

Thank you everybody

Yeah, the 1.6 FSI is pretty demanding and new (possibly unreliable) technology, but gives better performance than the 1.6MPI.

The 1.6MPI is quiet at low speeds, but can get quite noisy at high speeds.

The 1.9TDi is relatively noisy at low speeds, but at high speed it revs quite low and so is quite refined.

If it were me, I'd go for the 1.9TDi...however, really test driving them yourself would be the best way of deciding!

Rob.

Hi and welcome!

A bit of a long shot and I guess Cosmin may be quite common name in Romania but...you don't happen to have a sister called Ramona do you?

No , i don't have brothers or sisters , and no , Cosmin is not a common name in Romania . Do we know eachother?

Thanks a lot for your advices robmawer. i am awaiting for more if possible ! Thank you

Sorry...like I said a shot in the dark...I work with someone who is from Romania and has a brother called Cosmin.

Ah well....

To add to Rob's comments...a lot of the car magazines here also say the 1.6 FSI is a little noisey.

The 1.9TDi is VW "old" diesel so there is some diesel clatter when cold or on start up. However once warm and on the go it could be a petrol engine.

I had the 110bhp 1.9TDi and it was very good....you just drive on the torque.

Enjoy the site.

Not tried the 1.6 FSI, but would definitely go for the 1.9TDi ahaed of the 1.6 MPI. The 1.9 TDi is noisy on start up and idle (can sound distinctly truck-like) but is not too noisy when going - the main benefits are that it is known as a very reliable engine (used in loads of VAG cars - including many taxis) and also a decent power engine which can be tuned. :thumbup:

I have a 1996 Felicia with a VW 1.6 engine which is quite rough but pulls well from low revs. The 1.8T engine in my Octavia 4X4 Combi is very impressive but not an option for you. I would choose the 1.9TDi if I had the same choice to make as you. Oh, and welcome to Briskoda. :D

Welcome! can't comment on the 1.6 petrols but love the 1.9tdi

I don't think it's that noisy but at the same time I quite like the noise it makes anyway!

Think I am the only odd person who thinks this!

I had the 110bhp 1.9TDi and it was very good....you just drive on the torque.

So did I and I now have the 105bhp 1.9 TDI.

Very nice engine. A little noisy but not obtursive. Highy recommended.

Sometimes wish I had gone for the 140bhp 2.0.

Not sure of the power/torque ratings but the new Octy...assuming this is what you're after as it's in the new Octy forum....is qiute a big car.

Don't know whether the 1.6MPI has the power/torque characteristic to shift all the weight.

From magazine tests even the 1.9TDi is considered not powerful enough to haul it round briskly and it's rated at 105bhp...IIRC.

What's the 1.6mpi rated at? My guess would be the same or less power and definately a lot less torque.

I'd go with the 1.9TDI.

I driven the 1.4 in the previous Octy and found it under powered for a car of this size....would doubt it's any better in the new Octy.

Had a look at the official figures and the 1.6 MPI is 102bhp/109 lbs torque against the 1.9TDI which has 105 bhp/184 lbs torque.

As I said....about the same power but the TDI has more torque.

Now imagine what the figures would be like if you remapped both...not that this ask. ;)

Still think the TDI would be more driveable because of the torque...the 1.6 will probably better be when tanking on but how often do people drive to the rev limit?

...and before anyone asks I'm not a diesel freak....generally most peeps know what my car is. :D

Had a look at the official figures and the 1.6 MPI is 102bhp/109 lbs torque against the 1.9TDI which has 105 bhp/184 lbs torque.

As I said....about the same power but the TDI has more torque.

That's peak torque though (admittedly in both cases) - in the 1.6, the torque delivery will be pretty even though, because of it being NA. In the diesel, it won't be delivering that amount of torque until the turbo kicks in...

The 1.6 can happily keep up with a convoy of vRS's through Wales...suspect a 1.9TDi could too though... :)

Rob.

Hi everybody and thanks a lot for all these usefull advices you gave me . Now i think i will go for the 1,9 TDI , since 2.0 is too much for me and i'm tired of racing anyway . Now i need a confortable family car , plus i think new Octavia is too fancy for speeding , so why pay more if i won't use it .

The main problem is that i love the diesel sound . Reminds me that car has an engine and i like that ! it feels like someones there working for you and you just hear it replying to your commands, but my wife prefers quite (petrol) cars , and she insists on buying a petrol . Now that the 1,6 FSI is out of discution (as i said , after drive test i find it as noisy as the 1,9 TDI) it would only be the MPI to choose except diesel , but since TDI is more reliable in time i will get that (especially that i like it more than petrol cars as sound and attitude).

Thank you very much for all your help