(alloy) Wheels Question

Stimps

Does anyone happen to know the various "measurements" for the Fabia (1.4 16v if that makes a difference) wheels? i.e. offset and all that?

Also - I'm considering upgrading to 15" alloys at some point. As I understand it, the tyres will be slightly lower profile to compensate for the larger diameter wheels?

Would that mean I can keep the 14" spare in the boot and be able to use it in the event of a flat, or would that be a Bad Thing?

Yup, only 15" - want to stay with the "European" (?) look of smooth body and smallish wheels, not the novaBoy™ look of ragged body kit and enormous alloys.

Plus the tyres would be cheaper to replace on 15s than 17s? :D

Enormous alloys in this case would be anything that requires rolling of wheel arches or other body mods just to get them to fit, btw - 17" look good on the fabia, but the bigger the alloy, the more it dents my bank balance!

Thats probably a good idea Jason, as most VW/Audi 5 stud pattern alloys should fit the Fabia.

Was in the local Skoda dealer the other day and quite liked the look of the 16" 5 spokes that come on some Octavias.

They would look good on a Fabia, so maybe you could wait till someone sells some on briskoda!

btw there isn't much difference between the price of tyres for 15s and 16s.

Re: wheels at ebay - These links may be useful for you??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2422127451&category=14771

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2422760939&category=14771

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2422111974&category=14771

These above are all VW wheels, like mine, but all you need to buy are skoda chrome effect inserts from a dealer and you're away! :)

Edit to say my 205/40 R17's were

Originally posted by Stimps in this post

Howabout these (just quickly looking for 15" alloys that might fit:)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=2422839833&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2

I like these wheels VERY MUCH! Would look really nice on a Fabia I reckon. Plus the price is good for what you get too.

Originally posted by FabiaTDi in this post

Certainly some bargains on ebay!

Snap 'em up stimps!

Remember you may have to change the tyres though. :(

Although some did seem to come with decent wear on them...? The one I said was good had good tyres, I think... Conti's too, like my car originally came with, and are still wrapped around my steels.

It wasnt the tyre wear i was thinking of Jason.

I've seen those 5 spoke VW alloys on a Golf and the profile is quite tall on them (something like 65 profile IIRC)

This would effect the gearing, as on the Fab you would need 195/50 15s.

Oh well these things are never easy are they!?

Oh yeah - I wasn't really thinking of that, as my alloys came "unwrapped" and I had to look into the tyre size after the purchase to know what was best. I think I read on ebay those 15" alloys came with 195/55 R15 tyres, but I can't be sure

*checking*

Damn - It doesn't give profile size...Time to consult the tyre bible again, eh? I suppose one benefit of higher profile tyres is you actually do less miles between services. :D

Stimps,

give Micheldever a call for tyres; they are the cheapest (generally) and have daily specials. That said Kwik Fit did say they would price match so if it's too far for you to drive over, get a quote and tell Kwik Fit.

I was quote

I'm almost certain they would fit the Fabia - only going by the fact my wheels are also VW and they fitted perfectly. The VAG stud pattern seems to be standard across the board (at least the modern one) I hope someone could confirm this. Perhaps do the "ask seller a question" and see if he has a booklet for the wheels which may give the models the wheels will fit. (mine came with a booklet)

As for the tyres, you could stick the worn ones on the back, and the ones with 200 miles wear on the front. That way, by the time the front tyres are worn out, you'll be able to change all four tyres at the same time ( but that shouldn't be for another few months )

I would not pay over

Originally posted by Stimps in this post

Just looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2422111974&category=14771&rd=1

Which has 9 hours or so left on it. Quite tempting if it wasn't for the fact the tyres have seen better days. Anyone know if they'd fit a fab?

Stimps have I mis-Read you're post or the advert ?

"the tyres(two of which have only seen 200 miles)are 195/55 and are balanced and ready to fit"

Seems to suggest that the tyres ore OK to me

Not being Picky, Just a Thought

:cheers:

Graham