Hardwiring in a PC to Netgear DG834G?

devonutopia

C'mon Jase - You gotta get XP.

The IP is wrong on your Novell adaptor mate - should be in the 192.168 range as stated.

On the Novel adaptor, using IP config carry out the following operations

Type ipconfig /release - Release the IP address for the specified adapter.

Type ipconfig /renew - Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.

Your router is 192.168.0.1

Your other machine is 192.168.0.3

Your Novel Machine should be in the same range.

Once you've released the IP's you may have to reboot both the PC and the Router to force it to assign a new IP.

The subnet is wrong too normlly 255.255.255.0

Here are my settings

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Stu>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Network:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth

ernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-F4-72-20-BF

Ethernet adapter Modem Router:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-3A-98-68

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 March 2005 18:04:55

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 02 April 2005 18:04:55

C:\Documents and Settings\Stu>

Advice for when you've got your initial problem sorted - don't try the new beta driver available on Netgear website without first downloading recovery utility. Thank god I did 'cos everything locked up and router went into crazy mode :eek:

Jase try using use winipcfg instead.

Does this look familier - :rolleyes:

Can't obtain/renew IP addresses from the DHCP server

Symptoms:

1) you have a DHCP client which may not be able to obtain/renew IP addresses from the DHCP server intermittently. 2) after setup a workstation to obtain an IP address from DHCP, the machine can't ping others and ipconfig /all shows Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.x.x.

Resolutions:

1) If this is XP, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP.

2) Use the Network Diagnostics tool to identify any failed settings. To do this, go to Help and Support>Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems>Network Diagnostics>Scan your system. When the process finishes, check for any items marked "FAILED" in red, expand those categories, and view the additional details about what the testing showed.

3) Assign a static ip on the client and ping the DHCP server. If you can't ping the DHCP server, check the connection and hardware.

4) If you can ping the DHCP after assigning static ip, check the DHCP settings.

5) Make sure no firewall is running on your LAN.

6) Run Repair this connection if it is XP. Or use netsh to reset TCP/IP configuration.

7) If it is win98/w2k, remove and reinstall TCP/IP.

8) Try to upgrade the new NIC driver.

9) Make sure you don't run out of IPs in the DHCP scope.

10) If you use a router as DHCP, you may want to upgrade the firmware.

Some Win9x obtain different subnet mask

Symptoms:

In your domain network, some computers (most are win9x) obtain mask 255.255.255.0 instead of 255.0.0.0 randomly and they can't logon to the Domain. IPCONFIG /renew doesn't fix the problem. If you assign static ip and correct mask, the computer will be able to logon without any problem. If you check the WINS, you may find many bad records.

Possible reasons:

You may have another network device (possible a router) except main DHCP functions as a DHCP.

Why do I get 169.254.x.x IP?

Symptom:

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved 169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255 for Automatic Private IP Addressing. If the computer can't get ip from DHCP, APIPA provides an address that is guaranteed not to conflict with routable addresses.

Resolutions:

1) Make sure you have good connection.

2) Check the hardware and settings.

3) Make sure the DHCP is working.

4) For the test, you can assign static ip. If static ip works, it is possible DHCP issue. If static ip doesn't work, check the hardware or connection.

5) WinSock2 stack may be corrupted and need to repair.

on the older PC I'm trying to get to connect right?

I'm gonna do an ipconfig on that now' date=' and a ping too.

All I'm getting at the mo is "detecting proxy settings"which it never gets to complete. :thumbdwn:[/quote']

Sorry Jason...I was having a blonde moment...I didn't realise that was the machine that was working.

169.254.x.x is an internal IP that's assigned if it can't get one from the server.

Have you tried a manual config of the card?

Ventmore

Jase there's a couple of problems with the machine. 1) the IP address is outside the subnet and 2) it doesn't know the address of the default gateway or DHCP server (to find a route outside the box!).

If the release/renew stuff above doesn't work, you can hard code the values in using the network config panel, so you can set the default gateway and dhcp server to 192.168.0.1 (address of the router) and the IP address of the box as something like 192.168.1.10, which isn't being used on the network. The box should then be able to get on the web, but obviously if you change the address of the router, you'll need to update the PC to reflect it.

Chris

Thanks all - I will check this thread out in more detail at home. Sounds like some serious network changes need to be made on the old heap of junk trying to connect (got it all set to auto detect at the moment I believe)

:thumbup:

Hmmmm.... No joy with any of the above now. :( I've now told the network card to use the IP of 192.168 etc and the subnet of 255.255 etc but its still not connecting. Now I've re-installed the network card and still no change... Think I might bite the bullet and try to find a 10/100 card instead of this old piece of cr4p. :(

One weird thing I have noticed is when I reboot the old machine, its port light no.4 which is still lit orange flashes like a very flashy thing until the PC boots up windows, then it stops... Well weird.

I may be slightly closer now. :rolleyes:

I twigged suddenly I'd been typing the Netgears IP addy in the wrong TCP/IP... So, after putting it in the CORRECT one now when I boot up I.E it says detecting proxy settings, then says "connecting to 192.168.0.1" - then comes up with the classic dnserror "page cannot be displayed" screen

So, now at a stalling point again... Think I might just turn the damn thing off for now. :D

I may be slightly closer now. :rolleyes:

I twigged suddenly I'd been typing the Netgears IP addy in the wrong TCP/IP... So' date=' after putting it in the CORRECT one now when I boot up I.E it says detecting proxy settings, then says "connecting to 192.168.0.1" - then comes up with the classic dnserror "page cannot be displayed" screen

So, now at a stalling point again... Think I might just turn the damn thing off for now. :D[/quote']

You might be right on the "turn the damn thing off for now" front. Log into router and do a reboot. Had this exact same problem trying to get a Dell Axim PDA to connect to a DG834G over DHCP. The address it was getting was in the 169.x range for some strange reason. Nothing would make it change. Rebooted router, leaving settings in PDA untouched. 169.x magically turned into 192.168.0.x

Other than that it sounds like you're doing everything right.

BTW, setup is DG834G running 1x win98 desktop PC over RJ45, 1x win xp laptop wireless (centrino), 1x win 98 laptop wireless (pc card), Dell Axim x30 wireless. Wired connections just plug in and go. Wireless are running on hidden SSID, WEP, access control enabled (MAC address).

Give me a shout if you're still having difficulties........ won't be impossible to fix ;)

Wired connections just plug in and go.

Give me a shout if you're still having difficulties........ won't be impossible to fix ;)

If only my wired ones did that. :rofl: I'm starting to wonder if its simply a rubbish network card so I'm going to get a new one. My current PC just plugged in the back fine, and a green light popped up straight away. I think perhaps the network card I'm using in the old P133 is not up to the sort of speeds of data transfer the Netgear wants to put through? hence the orange light on the port number, not green like my current PC (using a brand new ethernet card)

:)

If it's a DNS error, then it's simply just not resolving the names. Instead of typing an address in explorer Jason, goto 66.102.9.104

This is the IP address of google.com. If that works, it's just the DNS problem. What do you have DNS set to at the mo?

Edited: In DNS, enter the address of your router.

Ventmore

If only my wired ones did that. :rofl: I'm starting to wonder if its simply a rubbish network card so I'm going to get a new one. My current PC just plugged in the back fine' date=' and a green light popped up straight away. I think perhaps the network card I'm using in the old P133 is not up to the sort of speeds of data transfer the Netgear wants to put through? hence the orange light on the port number, not green like my current PC (using a brand new ethernet card)

:)[/quote']

Did you try rebooting the router???? :confused:

I've just had to talk someone through doing the same, due to 169.x ip address being allocated. After reboot it was fine (again). :thumbup:

The router should allow 10mbs - thats why the light is yellow/orange. It should connect, it just won't be as quick as a modern card. If it's been allocated a 169.x address it just won't communicate at all. You need to get it into the same address range as the router.

If you've tried rebooting through the web interface and that hasn't fixed it I would suggest a switch of at the mains for 5 mins. If that doesn't work try a full reset (instructions in manual)

Ain't networking great eh!!

:finger::rofl:

The router has been rebooted a couple of times now. When I entered google in as the IP addy it started clicking between the router IP and something ending in "navcancel" - It did this about five times before coming with an error "cannot find the search page" :(

At the moment DNS is set to "disable" - but if I enable it, it asks me for a host,domain & DNS server search order. Is this where I put the router IP? Unsure what the host and domain is though?

edit - done an ipconfig on the PC again, and its now telling me the Novell 2000 card mentioned above has IP of 192.168.0.1 as needed I believe. I spotted in network properties, TWO TCP/IP installations, so I deleted the one which means nothing I believe... Hoping this sorts it out by removing any conflict the two drivers may have had? :confused:

nope! :):doh:

I've just attempted to set the LAN settings in I.E the same on the P133 as the current PC which is OK... Now it doesn't even attempt to connect to 192.168.0.1 under the "auto detect" settings.... :rofl:

nope! :):doh:

I've just attempted to set the LAN settings in I.E the same on the P133 as the current PC which is OK... Now it doesn't even attempt to connect to 192.168.0.1 under the "auto detect" settings.... :rofl:

Are you saying that both your router and PC have an IP address of 192.168.0.1? That won't work. Keep the router as that, and make sure the PC is different (192.168.0.x) Use DHCP if possible.