Well done O2!

Waplord

Well done O2 really managed to screw things up this time, no wonder when i had a brand new number on o2 i still got Spam texts and calls!

Basically they have configured the proxies you use when you access data on a 3g connection with them to include as well as the usual info in the http header of os and browser, YOUR MOBILE NUMBER

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Linky Poo

I'm on three myself, however used to be an O2 customer. They've amended the setting in their proxies now but it looks like it was doing it for a long period of time, the bbc news story as a link to a site that shows you if your number is being transmitted. Whats quite worrying is how o2 seem to be doing the usual of burying their head in the sand and saying the minimal about it that they can.

I suppose its the corporate line of "Loose lips sink ships" as when the ICO deals with them i suspect a hefty fine will be in order.

Can't see what all the fuss is about myself (and im on O2)

It was a custom HTTP header, that most websites won't be looking for, so its not as if the whole world now knows my number.

Bit of a mess up, but they've sorted it quickly, and they'll get a slapped wrist for it.

my issue with it is i want to choose to be able who i share my mobile number with, agreed most websites won't be looking for that header but why should O2 have the right to do that without informing customers, no other phone company deems it necessary ?

my issue with it is i want to choose to be able who i share my mobile number with, agreed most websites won't be looking for that header but why should O2 have the right to do that without informing customers, no other phone company deems it necessary ?

O2 have already admittedly it was a mistake, that some testing code escaped into the field. It wasn't O2 deliberately sharing information, it was human error. I would imagine someone is going to have at least a written warning, if not a P45 for this.