MUST READ FOR LEAKS

NICNAK

Thanks David, that seal you talk about, if its not pressed home firmly what is there behind it that will allow water to get in?

Well it clips over the raw steel edges forming the door aperture - so water going through at that point then percolates down the inside. I proved that was the problem on my car by pointing a hose (gently) at the gap between the door frame and the windscreen frame and seeing drips inside.

Ok thanks for that. I went out to the car about an hour ago and had another good look around, and there were a few droplets of water around the perimeter. I noticed a black rubber 'bung' just behind the bonnet release leaver and its kinda felt damn around the edges. I got a pair of pliers and as soon as I started to remove the bung water started to pour in through it!!! I was happy & sad (Happy due to some progress) & (Sad because more water had just poured in infront of my eyes lol)

So I have attached a few photos of what I have found and my question now is 1.How does water get down in behind here and 2. Should it not get drained out somehow?? Anyways your thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated :blush:

The Pics:

20120515_203438.jpg

20120515_203311.jpg

20120515_203236.jpg

20120515_203226.jpg

Well as you know I didn't manage to get that panel off so haven't examined that area in detail. However it could be running down the inside and through the two holes just above that bung? Or some holes higher up?

Hi just to let u know either side of the bonnet where the hinges are there are drains that drain the water if they are blocked it will allow water to leak thought the footwell so clean them taking all twigs leafes etc out!!

Thanks for that fabkhanvrs, had a look @ these areas and seems clear of any leaves etc.

So water is collecting down the right hand side behind the bonnet release lever. The bung which I pulled out to reveal the water, this water level has now risen again after I soaked some of it up (its been raining). On a further note I had a look and im pretty sure water is coming on from behind the pedals but cant really pull the carpet back any further. Im now back to thinking that underneath the scuttle may be blocked but I can see through the holes and mesh (on the scuttle panel) and it looks clear i.e no leaves. Has anyone got a photo of the drains below this scuttle panel, which could be potentially blocked in this area?

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Riteo, 1st off sorry to bring this thread back to life but thought i'd carry on with my update where the others left off. I've done everything to find the leak as mentioned above.

Yesterday i stripped the car and couldn't fund any obvious leak so i covered the floor in talc and left the car over night with a dehumidifier running. Came out this morning after much rain last nite and the floor was still dry :think: .

I got the hose pipe and started working my way around the drivers side starting by filling the plenum chamber. Nothing except for a LOT of water pouring onto my brake servo from under the plenum chamber. Bottom of the windscreen. Nothing. Started making my way up the windscreen and noticed this is the car....

a3y2ymum.jpg

You can see the track of the water, caused by a tiny hole. I dont think this in itself would have caused my sopping wet carpets. Also, if i feel behind the padding in the accelerator and brake pedal it is damp now.

Now i'm left with a couple of questions.

1. What is causing the leak that is in the picture. Possible windscreen, if so can i just seal it up. Theres no water behind the A pillar either as I've taken it off to check.  I don't want to simply seal the hole up where its coming out, i'd rather fix the source of the problem.

2. Is the water thats dripping onto the servo causing water to get in behind the carpet.

3.  The drain holes from the plenum chamber appear to get rid of the water somewhere between the inner arch and the arch lines.  Are they supposed to run further down or are they meant to empty the water mid way as it may be the case that its the drainage that isn't releasing the water down far enough.

Any suggestions welcome.

Edited by NathanG

• 2 years later...

Exactly same problem here. There seems to be water coming from behind of the (bonnet catch lever) panel, all of the spring clip holes are getting wet on rainy days.

No clogged plenum drains, no loose door seals. Replacing the windscreen did not help at all.

Any progress on other cars?