Dodgy thermostat and/or sensor?!

trasyd

Hi all,

So just got the console bushes sorted and then on the way home i noticed the temp gauge not moving off the bottom and then realised even with the heater on max it wasnt getting very hot so im thinking this is a thermostat issue or the sensor or both?! im guessing i can do this myself or do you all think it could be some other problem?!

cheers

It's a complete thermostat assembly with the temperature sensor.

thanks! a bit of an update..i thought i'd have a nose round the engine bay and found that skoda forgot to put the cap back on the coolant!!!great huh! but since i have now put it back on the temp is fluctuating from midway to a quarter so im guessing i still have a problem?!

Does driving the car with the cap off cause any sort of problems? i have only driven it for about 30 mins since i got the car fixed but is that enough to casue any issues?

Edited by trasyd

Why did they take the cap off? Has it had a coolant change? I'd say it's an airlock in the coolant system.

They did a coolant temperature check, yeah i spoke to my girlfriend this morning and all the way to work the temp gauge was going up and down...think i should flush the system to get rid of the airlock?

thanks! a bit of an update..i thought i'd have a nose round the engine bay and found that skoda forgot to put the cap back on the coolant!!!great huh! but since i have now put it back on the temp is fluctuating from midway to a quarter so im guessing i still have a problem?!

Does driving the car with the cap off cause any sort of problems? i have only driven it for about 30 mins since i got the car fixed but is that enough to casue any issues?

Potentially yes, it can cause problems. Driving with the lid off the bottle you may have lost a reasonable portion of your coolant. That would be a good explanation for the temp gauge fluctuating and the heater not working properly.

You should probably call the garage and hear what they have to say for themselves (best if you've a witness, not family or GF, a workmate would be best). Any admission or offer they make now might seem insignificant but should you later suffer from engine damage or overheating issues you may have evidence that they are culpable.

Either you or the garage needs to ensure the cooling system is filled and working properly. Otherwise, it might strand you/your GF at the roadside under a cloud of steam.

J.

Potentially yes, it can cause problems. Driving with the lid off the bottle you may have lost a reasonable portion of your coolant. That would be a good explanation for the temp gauge fluctuating and the heater not working properly.

You should probably call the garage and hear what they have to say for themselves (best if you've a witness, not family or GF, a workmate would be best). Any admission or offer they make now might seem insignificant but should you later suffer from engine damage or overheating issues you may have evidence that they are culpable.

Either you or the garage needs to ensure the cooling system is filled and working properly. Otherwise, it might strand you/your GF at the roadside under a cloud of steam.

J.

Ahh bugger, well im going down there tomorrow to have words and to get it plugged in to see if they can find anything out on diagnostics, is it easy to bleed a system? i've read a few different ways and am thinking of just buying a haynes manual, i want to do it right as i dont want my girlfriend stranded! thanks for input though its all helping!