Gone over to the darkside, or should I say the greenside.

Hi all, been a while since Ive been on here, real life stuff, etc.

Anyway...

I have gone over to the darkside, from a Mk 2 Octy VRS to a brand spanking Fabia Greenline II Estate.

Although I loved the VRS, I just couldnt justify the skyrocketing running costs anymore, needed a similar size or slightly smaller car but with much lower running costs, the Greenline II estate was my first choice. TBH, if VW did the Polo Dune/Cross-Polo in Bluemotion form, I would have been seriously tempted, but I digress.

Was hoping for a few driving tips/pointers from other greenline drivers who may do some hypermiling. Or just general hints on the car itself.

Im also interested in any real world MPG figures people may have.

Many Thanks

Edited by Rhoobarb

I have averaged 72mpg from new, but that seems to be more than other owners who are on Fuelly.

Probably because my commute (what the car is for) is 40 miles and 80% in open road where I plod along at sensible speeds with the larger vehicles.

The main things to remember is when the engine is not under load, you want a high a gear as possible. Sounds obvious, but when you put the engine under load you must change down enough to get the rpm between 1600 and 2200, then change to keep it in that bracket.

If you are lazy to change gear and just put your foot down at under 1500rpm it will pick up, but the fuel economy is terrible. The turbo is not doing it's job there, so it just seems to throw fuel through the engine in a valiant attempt to do what you are asking. So top gear is of no use until you are doing about 52mph, unless you are going downhill.

Get about 5000 miles on it and the economy will improve.

I couldn't get mine over 68mpg from new, but by the time it had 10k on the clock I did three full tanks at 78mpg by sticking to 56mph and following lorries. It was the most boring driving I think I've ever done. The next tank I averaged 61mpg, my worst ever because I went everywhere like a VRS driver. Then I went out and bought a sports car.

The Greenline II tends to make you take more interest in fuel economy than you do in other cars.

You just have to see what you can get out of it.

If you are lazy to change gear and just put your foot down at under 1500rpm it will pick up, but the fuel economy is terrible. The turbo is not doing it's job there, so it just seems to throw fuel through the engine in a valiant attempt to do what you are asking.

Really efficiency should always be better at lower RPMs. So it may well be doing exactly that - my understanding is that power of diesels can always be increased (with diminishing returns) but running richer, at the expense of black clouds which of course you won't see because of the DPF.

Hello Friends,

I currently have an Octavia MPI Estate 1.6 petrol. First off, it's my first Skoda, very nice and comfortable! However, I bought it purely for the price; I ain't too happy with the fuel economy - especially as I don't drive like a boy racer, nor do I do many motorway miles. This will change when my grandson will be born!

I'm strongly tempted in changing for the Fabia Greenline Estate, which ought be far more economical. My only doubt is the 1.2 diesel engine. Since I'm driving with Queen's English speed limits - I'm sure it won't be a problem. What do other 1.2 diesel owners have to say about their experiences?

Hoping to have a test run in one, in the next few weeks!

Frank.

Hello Friends,

I currently have an Octavia MPI Estate 1.6 petrol. First off, it's my first Skoda, very nice and comfortable! However, I bought it purely for the price; I ain't too happy with the fuel economy - especially as I don't drive like a boy racer, nor do I do many motorway miles. This will change when my grandson will be born!

I'm strongly tempted in changing for the Fabia Greenline Estate, which ought be far more economical. My only doubt is the 1.2 diesel engine. Since I'm driving with Queen's English speed limits - I'm sure it won't be a problem. What do other 1.2 diesel owners have to say about their experiences?

Hoping to have a test run in one, in the next few weeks!

Frank.

No problems around town and on the motorway.

With diesel prices as they are you might be better off with a petrol Fabia unless you plan on doing lots and lots of miles.

Hello Jerry,

Ha ha! That's probably true, my friend. But if the Greenline achieves about 800 miles per tank, I'm not too bothered.

Anyways, it will be a lot better and more comfortable than the Fiat Doblo 1.9 JTD, which I still own.

Frank.

I recently took delivery of a new Greenline estate.

At a throbbing 75bhp, it's the most powerful car I've ever had - though not the quickest by some margin over my Citroen C3, which had a 70bhp 1.4 diesel engine - although I suspect that it had been re-mapped, as it was quicker than other 'more powerful' diesel engines in the same series I tried.

Fuel efficiency is still worse too (even than my Peugeot 206SW, which is comparable size). But it's still young, with only 3000km on the clock. It better get better.

Oh - and it stalls more because it has very little torque at the bottom end. Keep the revs above 1750 and it's very nice to drive, though. Have to work the gears a bit when driving through mountainous terrain, though.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I'm likely to order my Greenline estate for the new registration plate.

Regarding how any vehicle drives, is bound to be different. I still stall my Octavia, but that's because I'm silly. Of course, rev her up and away she goes.

Does it really matter how many miles I travel? Does a car care? I'm buying this diesel, simply to save money - not because I'm going to travel thousands of miles every year. Of course, when my grandson is born, I shall be cruising the M4 on a more regular basis.

Frank.

Had it 3 days now, 30 miles on the clock when I picked it up, did a quick 60 mile motorway round trip and some town stuff. Had done my first five miles with showroom finish before a bird with an apparent bad stomach ache decided it didnt like white :(. Bonnet, roof, windscreen, mirror and some of the drivers door (it was that much!!). Apparently thats good luck, but I swear thats just to make people feel better.

Its not easy getting used to compared to the 2.0 VRS, but then I wasnt expecting it to be, different horses (literally) and all that.

My MPG seemed to be averaging 60 on the motorway and 30-40 around town, even though I have been driving like 70 year old nun and trying some hypermiling techniques on the motorway. Does that sound about right?

Maybe Im hitting the rev range all wrong. Im trying to keep it between 1500-2000, but in some gears it almost seem like its a hair breadth away from kicking like a mule and stalling.

Theres a small but steep hill by me and its on a junction, so you pretty much have to attack it from standstill, I attempt in first, try to change when it sounds right (again, probably me being used to a more powerful engine) kick into second only for the car to lose power as the revs arent high enough so I have to knock it back down to first. Obviously I need more of a lead foot on hills but I thought the power in these was all low down and the higher revs dont give much to the party?

Other than getting used to the revs/gears, and possibly changing my driving style to attain higher mpg, Im chuffed to bits with it and loving every minute. I do miss the leather and gadgets of the VRS though. Also, touch wood, I havent stalled it yet :D.

Its a lovely car to look at (when its clean), I just wish they came with a better/bigger set of alloys. They just look too small and tucked in under the shell for the size of the car.

Oh and by dark side, I meant fabias ;) (not really)

Edited by Rhoobarb

The small alloys help with hte economy. :thumbup:

Never had a problem stalling mine either. It should pull from about 1500-1600rpm in any gear.

Now on 19,000 miles...

I saw the blurb about how the alloy sizes helped with economy, its just more of a visual thing on my part. It does make me wonder how much of a saving they make over alloys an inch bigger, etc.?

Can any greenline11 owners comment on economy at a genuine gps 70-75mph, say 73-78mph indicated?

I know those sorts of speeds kill economy on the 1.2petrols, just wondering when I eventually swap my 2.0CR Tdi how big a car do you actually need to get good economy at higher speeds.

Cheers

Lee

Hello Friends,

Why do you need bigger alloys? Being a Greenline, wouldn't that defeat the reason for buying it, in the first place? Also if you have bigger wheels, how much extra would the larger tyres cost?

As for changing gears - does anyone follow the recommended gear changes as shown on the dashboard. I've been doing so with my current Octavia, but sometimes ignore it.

With my 1.9 JTD Doblo, I simply change gears when the rev counter reaches 2000 revs - hasn't failed me yet! I'm absolutely looking forward to my new silver Fabia Estate Greenline. Come in No.12! :D

Frank.

Hello Friends,

Why do you need bigger alloys? Being a Greenline, wouldn't that defeat the reason for buying it, in the first place? Also if you have bigger wheels, how much extra would the larger tyres cost?

As for changing gears - does anyone follow the recommended gear changes as shown on the dashboard. I've been doing so with my current Octavia, but sometimes ignore it.

With my 1.9 JTD Doblo, I simply change gears when the rev counter reaches 2000 revs - hasn't failed me yet! I'm absolutely looking forward to my new silver Fabia Estate Greenline. Come in No.12! :D

Frank.

Hi Frank,

Yes, bigger alloys would add to the cost and rolling mass of the wheels, which would reduce the economy a bit.

No, the gear change indicator is not a lot of use. It makes no allowance for gradient so I'd just ignore it.

About 2000-2200 is right in general driving, so you fall back into the higher rear at about 1500-1600 rpm.

Only need more if you are pushing it up a slip road and need to build the speed up quickly etc...

Downhill of course, as high a gear as possible. Engine is not working so 1000rpm is fine. (as I'm sure you know)

What do you mean "small alloys"?

My Greenline II came with 185/60R15s - they are the biggest tyres I've ever had! :D

I would have happily chosen a smaller wheel size and narrower tyres - especially for winter, but that is verbotten here - the only choice is 185/55R15 if you want snow chains (which I don't) - or 185/60R15 without.

I'll check out the mpg at 70mph next time I get the chance. I think it drops quickly at higher speeds.

And my car still seems to drink diesel, compared to the 1.4HDi's I've had from Citroen & Peugeot. :(

Look, about the small wheels. Google Images 'Fabia Estate' you will see what I mean (or maybe you wont). There are plenty of images of standard fabia's up to the scout and VRS models on there. To me the fabia estate looks much better with the larger style alloys. It makes the car look bigger and stand out. The standard greenline alloys IMO give it that budget, small, Korean city car look. The same can also be said for the greenline's cousins, the polo bluemotion and the ibiza ecomotive. Again this a visual appeal to me, nothing to do with weights/mpg figures/performance/handling/etc, perhaps maybe nothing to do with the wheel size, just the bland generic styling.

As its the only slight (very slight) grumble I have with the car, is it worth focusing on that much? I was trying to do a small review on my first impressions, that included the slight grumble ;).

Moving along...

Did around 200 miles yesterday, mostly motorway. Got around 70mpg on the way out and around 79mpg on the way back (55-60mph @ 1500-2000 rpm). Very chuffed with that, the cruise control worked a charm and allowed me to keep within 1500-2000 revs. I wouldnt even have got 40mpg in my VRS at those revs/speeds.

The car now looks filthy (the price of drafting behind trucks and coaches), but performed above my expectations.

I am curious as to what driving techniques that hypermiler did to get 128mpg out of his greenline ii?

This week is urban driving so shall see what my averages are for around town driving.

According to the ship's computer my Greenline II was only getting 58mpg (4.9L/100km) last night at 70mph (112km/h) on a fairly flat and quiet autobahn.

I don't think that's right - even at night in the cold (-4C) with winter tyres.

And the computer has been spot on so far, compared to manual calculations based on brim-to-brim tanking.

It's done 3500km now - I think it should be much better than that. Any thoughts?

Hello Frankman & all

I only wish my 3 month old fabia greenline would do this:- "But if the Greenline achieves about 800 miles per tank, I'm not too bothered"

I commute daily on the motorway to work a round trip of 70 miles with just 3 miles on normal roads & I get 7 return trips before I need to refuel so 490 miles - there is fuel left in the tank but never enough for another return trip I travel in & home early so traffic normally ok

car now done 4400 miles and driven gently at varying speeds between 55 & 70 - rather disappointed to be honest as I was getting better economy with my old 2005 120k miles Fiat punto when driven always at 70

I think its all about driving style and conditions. An extreme hypermiler managed to get 1246 miles from a full tank in a greenline ii hatch, so I dont see 800 being out of reach.

I know I have had to adjust my driving style to get better mpg.

Obviously you cant change the roads you have to drive, urban motorway, etc.

Edited by Rhoobarb

Sorry guys I have not got Fabia greenline,but I have roomster 1.2 tdi cr which I believe is same engine as greenline without stop/start.Recently I completed a trip of 336 miles mostly on motorway with cruise on, set at 73 mls p/h. Also a bit of traffic stop go, nearer city,used 6.85 gallons =48.99 mpg. Is this good or bad? Used brim to brim method for checking

Today 55 miles, mix of dual carriageway,B roads and towns. Keeping to speed limit and 65-70 on the dual. 76mpg average indicated which is actually 72mpg.

The book figures for my GL1 arent as good as the GL2 yet I seem to get much better mpg in the real world. Admittedly the cars not loaded up and its a longer run.

The new CR engine might be quieter and more refined than my PD, but its certainly not more efficient. I can easily make the combined mpg figure on mine but I guess companies are getting better at fiddling the tests to show unrealistic fuel figures. If I drive mine with no consideration for economy I still get mid sixties.

I had to wait until I had a good 20,000 miles under it before it gave really excellent economy. Also cold temps hits the economy I find. Between warm summer and chilly winter can for me be as much as 10 mpg difference.

I did read somewhere that the PD engine has one of the highest injection pressures of any diesel engine and its this that is a prime factor in its economy. The CR engine just doesnt have the same pressures although its more controlled for a smoother engine.

Of course that could all be a load of rubbish....