Low revs on cold start

Just wondering if anyone can help a man new to Skoda, with intermittent low revs when starting the engine, on a 2.0TDi pd140?

When cranking the engine, it always fires up, but lately I have to give the accelerator a nudge to get it at 9500rpms. If I don't press down on the accelerator, it stays at around 550rpms for a couple of seconds and then eventually cuts out altogether! This was only an intermittent problem at first, but now happening more frequently.

The weather here in Sydney is not that cold at all to make a huge difference I wouldn't think - 16 degrees Celsius being the average-to-coldest we get during summer.

After I manage to start the engine, all other attempts to start it are fine, it just seems to be when I first start it for the day.

Any help to this noob would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Just wondering if anyone can help a man new to Skoda, with intermittent low revs when starting the engine, on a 2.0TDi pd140?

When cranking the engine, it always fires up, but lately I have to give the accelerator a nudge to get it at 9500rpms. If I don't press down on the accelerator, it stays at around 550rpms for a couple of seconds and then eventually cuts out altogether! This was only an intermittent problem at first, but now happening more frequently.

The weather here in Sydney is not that cold at all to make a huge difference I wouldn't think - 16 degrees Celsius being the average-to-coldest we get during summer.

After I manage to start the engine, all other attempts to start it are fine, it just seems to be when I first start it for the day.

Any help to this noob would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Is your car still in warranty, if yes then take it back to dealer or auto scan with VCDS. Once the car is fully warmed up does it still cuts off.

9500rpm's? you shouldn't be doing that to a cold engine :giggle:

I think I'd try the fuel filter first in case an adequate supply is not getting to the engine on the first attempt to start.

LOL I meant 950rpm's!! hahaha

First thing I did when I got the car was to change the fuel, oil and air filters, plus oil change... and it's been 10000kms since, the filer should still be ok yeah?

Is your car still in warranty, if yes then take it back to dealer or auto scan with VCDS. Once the car is fully warmed up does it still cuts off.

Car not under warranty anymore, I bought it second hand through a dealer, 2007 model with 95000kms.. the dealers here give you an initial 3 month period where they will repair any fault, or up to 5000kms (which ever comes first) and I've already done 10000kms..

Once it's warmed up it's perfectly fine, it's just that initial crank.. even if the engine is still cold, after I hit the gas to get it started, I could turn the engine off immediately and then start it up first go with no problem..

could the fuel lines be dirty/clogged up?

Could be many many things, but do a search on here for "cold start" lots of people on here have same problem.

I believe suggestions have included the MAF sensor or the Cam Sensor.

Thanks for the tips.. I did do a search and found a few topics about it - but I did realise that alot were experiencing it along with cold weather - mine is not during cold weather, only while engine is cold..

:sun:

Thanks for the tips.. I did do a search and found a few topics about it - but I did realise that alot were experiencing it along with cold weather - mine is not during cold weather, only while engine is cold..

:sun:

I had this problem just after servicing, then after 500kms it got cleared itself. I had a chat with a technician regarding this and he said at the time of servicing, diesel filter is changed or cleaned and because of that there are very bright chances of air getting trapped in diesel lines. So every time I cranked the engine, the air goes in along with some diesel and after the air is cleared out and every thing is normal.After a long park the air being lighter comes up in diesel lines again causing the same. My car idle rpm is b/w 700-800rpms. You can rectify rpms using VCDS.......