No Brake Lights

Had my VRS estate MOT'd yesterday and it failed on:

1 x number plate light not working and no brake lights including high level light.

Got home, changed the number plate light bulb - OK

Now the brake lights:

Checked the fuse - OK

Must be the brake light switch! Fitted a new one today, still no lights, had a brief look in the N/S/R boot pocket, checked the 3 x connectors all seemed ok.

Any ideas anyone?

I've booked it in at a local auto-electricians as i'm rubbish at car electrics, but if its potentially a simple problem I can check it. :thumbup:

Had my VRS estate MOT'd yesterday and it failed on:

1 x number plate light not working and no brake lights including high level light.

Got home, changed the number plate light bulb - OK

Now the brake lights:

Checked the fuse - OK

Must be the brake light switch! Fitted a new one today, still no lights, had a brief look in the N/S/R boot pocket, checked the 3 x connectors all seemed ok.

Any ideas anyone?

I've booked it in at a local auto-electricians as i'm rubbish at car electrics, but if its potentially a simple problem I can check it. :thumbup:

Was it a brand new switch that you fitted?

There is a correct way to install them and if you don't get it quite right they don't work (don't ask me how I found that out :rofl: )

How did you find that out ? :rofl:

It was actually a used switch but it worked fine on the car i took it off today,

There is only really one way it can go on

Some you have to push the plunger in slightly to take the tension off so that they will click fully into place, other ones just require a firm twist to lock them into position.

I broke the clutch switch on my old Fabia because I didn't push it in as I twisted it, so was more careful when I replaced the brake light switch on the Outlaw's Polo. That one didn't work at first until I gave it a firmer twist to click it fully into position (without pushing in the plunger).

Problem sorted on the brake light this morning.

There are 3 x connectors in the n/s/r boot well that had corroded and need a good clean (Well better than the clean i had given them), was also advised that the boot spoiler brake light also needed connection cleaning from corrosion, boot well also had some water in it caused by a bad rear washer pipe connection (Apparently quite a common problem).

Anyway all OK now and a new full MOT,

Tax it next week and then finally get it on the road........yipeee :D