Winter chill today

THEFOR2

Did You use any kind of block heater (swedish: motorvärmare) - electic, petrol or diesel - before you started the engine,

or did you just start it from cold (outside or in a somewhat warm garage?)?

How do You find the heating ability of the petrol 1.8TSI Yeti in -10-20 celsius (more normal "cold" winter temperatures where I live :-))?

Is it sufficient without a "webasto"-heater, or do You have such a device (petrol or diesel) installed in Your Yeti?

Martin

Did You use any kind of block heater (swedish: motorvärmare) - electic, petrol or diesel - before you started the engine,

or did you just start it from cold (outside or in a somewhat warm garage?)?

How do You find the heating ability of the petrol 1.8TSI Yeti in -10-20 celsius (more normal "cold" winter temperatures where I live :-))?

Is it sufficient without a "webasto"-heater, or do You have such a device (petrol or diesel) installed in Your Yeti?

Martin

I have a petrol 1.8TSI Yeti. There is no problem with the standard heater, at least down to -15 celsius which is the coldest I've got so far. I do use an electric pre-heater in the morning, but not back from work. The engine seems to get warm rather quickly even without the pre-heater :)

The coldest temperature at which my Yeti started so far was -23℃. It had spent a night at about -27 and then in the afternoon, when it got slightly warmer, I started it without a hassle. The clutch pedal was stiff though (for the first 15 minutes or so). Also, the engine heats very slowly in idle run. In fact, if the outside temperature is below -20 and you run the heater at second speed (and max heat, of course) engine temperature begins to fall below 90 degrees fairly quickly in idle run. Another peculiarity that I noticed is the distribution of heat by the heater when the engine is not fully warmed up: it tends to heat upper part of the car in the first place, so I have to adjust air flows more towards the legs.

There is an article in the Russian automotive magazine “Autoreview†comparing Yeti, Tiguan, Qashqai and Sportage: a link

Among other aspects, they also tested heaters and got the following results (on the y-axis is the temperature in ℃ and on the x-axis is time in minutes; all the engines were in idle run):

Driver's Head

progrev1_1024.jpg

Driver's Legs

progrev2_1024.jpg

Rear Passenger's Head

progrev3_1024.jpg

Rear Passenger's Legs

progrev4_1024.jpg

Both the Yeti and the Tiguan were equipped with "Climatronics". And although I have a "Climatic", I experience basically the same.

Today I noticed black smoke coming out of the tailpipe for the first minute after a cold start at low temperature. It was -24℃. This was the second time I noticed it. Previous time I noticed black smoke at -16 the other day. Looks like it is normal for the 1.8 TSI engine, according to other forums. But strange: my previous Euro-2 Lada (and the Yeti is Euro-5) emitted black smoke after cold-starting in the frost only once or twice. Then I had forgotten to properly disengage the anti-theft system that simply cut-off one cylinder. I hope that smoke doesn't hurt the catalytic converter in my Yeti. Also there was some faint creaking coming from the engine for a couple of minutes, then it vanished.

Another thing I noticed today is that the front suspension makes strange noises like creaking and grinding while passing narrow sleeping policemen. These noises pass away after a few kilometers.