Power Assisted Stearing

Trying to eliminate a really bad creaking sound I'm getting at the moment (Click), a mechanic friend of mine suggested that it might be worth doing, apparently his brother's racing puma had a similar sound and it turned out the fluid needed changed. At this stage I'm willing to give it a go. My car is currently on 72k miles so changing the fluid certainly can't hurt.

Just get the VAG stuff from the dealer........get the Haynes manual....it gives the full description of how to properly bleed it.........very long process and will involve jacking the front end up level....etc....and engine on/off turning the steering wheel....etc.....etc....... :S

Just get the VAG stuff from the dealer........get the Haynes manual....it gives the full description of how to properly bleed it.........very long process and will involve jacking the front end up level....etc....and engine on/off turning the steering wheel....etc.....etc....... :S

Sounds like I have a fun filled afternoon ahead of me

Can't see if being the fluid tbh but if your keen then give it a go.

Top mounts, ball joints, anti roll bar all ok?

Everything other than the lower ball joints has been changed within the last 2-3 months, even then they seemed okay. I mean to check the fluid level anyway, after reading that you need to remove the battery etc to get into it I thought I may as well change it while I'm there.

Everything other than the lower ball joints has been changed within the last 2-3 months, even then they seemed okay. I mean to check the fluid level anyway, after reading that you need to remove the battery etc to get into it I thought I may as well change it while I'm there.

All I ever do is top it up with a small amount (a couple of tea spoons every 2yrs)......there is bound to be a small leak somewhere........in my case the rack is still holding up!!!....mind you I don't have to remove the battery in my car (petrol engine 1.4 16v) to get to the PAS fluid..... :giggle:

EDIT...spelling

When I had my APs On the vRS estate I had a groaning noise from the steering at low speed. The only way I sorted it was by fitting helper springs which kept a tighter force on the top mounting without effecting the spring rate, sorted it right away.

Hmm I'll have a look into some helper springs then if I don't find any problems this weekend, were they expensive?