Fitting A Reversing Camera to an Octavia VRS FL 10 Plate

richieroo

Hmmmm don't have maxidot bit odd. Thought it was strange that mine works but I read that the canbus sytem means the system is live even if the boot is shut. Check with a Multi meter, Not sure about your move to lock your self in the boot seems a bit extreme lol. With regards to the bulb fail light I had both mine out and it didn't error, till I plugged the leds in. Even then it didn't error all the time!

Yup, checked with multimeter and got barely any voltage (0.8v IIRC) - Have not yet got the monitor so hard to tell for certain.

Bulb failure system makes sense - did not spend long testing it, was just by accident tbh.

Ok, tested today on the Moors meet and it works spot on wired to the boot light. Testing was with the DVD players' input sat resting on the passenger seat (have not got the monitor yet).

Got home and chatting to a neighbour about the camera and he has given me one of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/in-car-2.4ghz-wireless-reversing-camera-with-colour-screen-224282

Uses its own connectors for everything though, and the camera connects to the wireless sender using a 3 pin plug. Ive mutilated it and a SCART connector and now have the reversing camera wirelessly transmitted to the monitor :)

I will post some piccies tomorrow with a short guide

Washed car yesterday, after waxing etc thought "Oh, I'll take some pics of the camera etc".

Unfortunatly I think water has killed the camera :( The camera is getting power, and the video feed is getting some voltage but initially the picture was "funky" then black with just the overlays, then dead completely.

I will test again tonight after letting it dry out but probably will need to order another camera :( This time round I'll pop some silicone sealant / superglue around the lens to make sure it is sealed nicely.

Which camera did you go for? The one I used got dropped in a bucket of soapy water just before instal and it was fine! You said you used the cordless set up try wiring direct to the monitor before buying a new one just to check!

Which camera did you go for? The one I used got dropped in a bucket of soapy water just before instal and it was fine! You said you used the cordless set up try wiring direct to the monitor before buying a new one just to check!

Got the one from your link - so probably the same camera as you.

I got the wired monitor the other day so was using that, but no matter what monitor I used it had the same problem. Tried again last night and there is still no video, but interestingly there are between 1.5v and 0.5v on the video feed so I suspect a short internally in the camera between power and video.

Will attempt a refund and will try another camera - otherwise its parking sensors @ £250!

Just had a thought. Have you tried wiring the lot to the boot light only, so it's on all the time? Can you get a picture? Also have you tried the dvd palyer again to check? Just a thoght! £250 is a lot for parking sensors. I had them on my last Mondeo but it didn't stop me clipping a low wall it didn't pick up and I didn't see!!!! Let me know how you get on?

Ta

Edited by richieroo

• 2 months later...

Bit of a long time coming but I have started on a guide that hopefully clears up any of the questions regarding where and how to route the cables etc. My camera is now (touch wood) working ok and looks the dogs danglies. I'll update this thread tomorrow with the guide and pics

• 1 year later...

You can get Parking Sensor on eBay from £12 upwards. The kits even come with a hole saw to drill the bumper with. Some of the kit have the option to choose sensors in a colour which match you paint colour. I have fitted some of these to my Octy VRS although I got black sensors and sprayed them with aerosol paint to match the car. You can find an example here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Parking-Reversing-Sensor-s-4-sensor-Buzzer-LED-/370267329207?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item5635a712b7

• 8 months later...

is it just me as i can't see any of the pictures in the description the i see the camera picture and the relay but just blank squares for the rest or could you message  how you did it

i been trying to fit a camera to a aftermarket multimedia system, the camera was with it it works when the ignition is in the on position but as soon as i turn the engine on it stops working and i'm going mad please help 

TIA 

Derek