Webasto pre-facelift

My father has an Octavia II pre-facelift with factory mounted webasto, this heater does only heat the interior of the car, not engine. Anyone knows if this is correct and if it's anything to do with it?

My father has an Octavia II pre-facelift with factory mounted webasto, this heater does only heat the interior of the car, not engine. Anyone knows if this is correct and if it's anything to do with it?

Yes, that's correct. Only available in the 'colder' climate countries. I suspect the on/off switch is in the bottom of the middle dial on the heater controls.

Yes, that's correct. Only available in the 'colder' climate countries. I suspect the on/off switch is in the bottom of the middle dial on the heater controls.

Norway is defenitely cold enough, he has the switch where you say it is. My question was more regarding why this webasto only heats the cabin and somewhat bypasses the cooling water for the engine, my 2011 heats both cabin and engine.

I have seen in the installation manual that you can set it either with or without a 3/2 valve, whatever that is? Could this has something to with it.

I think it's stupid to heat the water only for cabin and not the engine aswell and can't see any reason why it should be like that.

Did you miss the line "this heater does only heat the interior of the car, not engine"

I'm gonna take a punt on this being a heater :giggle:

Thanks! I got confused as the only skoda related webasto I could find (albeit a short search) was a sunroof and sunroofs don't heat engines!

Norway is defenitely cold enough, he has the switch where you say it is. My question was more regarding why this webasto only heats the cabin and somewhat bypasses the cooling water for the engine, my 2011 heats both cabin and engine.

I have seen in the installation manual that you can set it either with or without a 3/2 valve, whatever that is? Could this has something to with it.

I think it's stupid to heat the water only for cabin and not the engine aswell and can't see any reason why it should be like that.

I think the Webasto is an air heater. It'll heat the cabin faster and leave the engine to heat itself.

I think the Webasto is an air heater. It'll heat the cabin faster and leave the engine to heat itself.

I'm not sure about this car, but normally webasto in relation to car heats the cooling water for the whole system, but there is right as you say, you also get the webasto as air heater. Air heaters are often used in boats.

Hi Ca-raae,

I have factory webasto on my preFL Octy II and you are right.

It only heats air, not the engine (I know its stupid and I know that aftermarket webastos usually also heat the engine...I dont know why Skoda did it like that).

Only change between preFL and FL is that for FL they added a webasto remote control.

For preFL there is no remote control, but you can turn it on with button from the car or schedule a timer using maxidot menues (that is my choice..usually I set it to run 20minutes before I go to work in the morning).

From user manual:

"Auxiliary heating (auxiliary heating )

The auxiliary heating (auxiliary heating) functions in connection with the

heater or with the Climatic or Climatronic.

It can be used when stationary, when engine is switched off for preheating

of the vehicle as well as while driving (e.g. during the heating phase of the

engine).

The auxiliary heating (auxiliary heating) warms up the coolant during the

combustion of fuel from the vehicle tank. The coolant warms up the air,

which (if the blower speed is not set to zero) flows into the occupant

compartment.6)

6) However the coolant does not warm up the engine."

Hi Ca-raae,

I have factory webasto on my preFL Octy II and you are right.

It only heats air, not the engine (I know its stupid and I know that aftermarket webastos usually also heat the engine...I dont know why Skoda did it like that).

Only change between preFL and FL is that for FL they added a webasto remote control.

For preFL there is no remote control, but you can turn it on with button from the car or schedule a timer using maxidot menues (that is my choice..usually I set it to run 20minutes before I go to work in the morning).

From user manual:

"Auxiliary heating (auxiliary heating )

The auxiliary heating (auxiliary heating) functions in connection with the

heater or with the Climatic or Climatronic.

It can be used when stationary, when engine is switched off for preheating

of the vehicle as well as while driving (e.g. during the heating phase of the

engine).

The auxiliary heating (auxiliary heating) warms up the coolant during the

combustion of fuel from the vehicle tank. The coolant warms up the air,

which (if the blower speed is not set to zero) flows into the occupant

compartment.6)

6) However the coolant does not warm up the engine."

Hi franek.

Thank you for clarifying this, now at least i know that there's nothing wrong with my fathers car.

Regarding the remote control you mention this is not standard on all FL models, in Norway this became standard on the Winter and Alldrive models on the 2011 model, i myself have a 2011 L&K, this has no remote control fitted from factory but i am going to retrofit it as kit, i have bought this kit wich should fit all Octavia II, seen an installation manual that states it can be fitted on 2005 and upwards.

http://www.carsystems.pl/skoda-webasto-telestart-t91r-kit-digital,id109.html

Regarding the only heating air issue, this heater is still heating the cooling water? Am i right? But it somehow bypasses the engine, there's got be a valve or something that closes when the engine is not running to isolate only the water for the cabin heating together with webasto?

Or is this webasto only blowing hot air into the cabin directly from the webasto?

Hi franek.

Thank you for clarifying this, now at least i know that there's nothing wrong with my fathers car.

Regarding the remote control you mention this is not standard on all FL models, in Norway this became standard on the Winter and Alldrive models on the 2011 model, i myself have a 2011 L&K, this has no remote control fitted from factory but i am going to retrofit it as kit, i have bought this kit wich should fit all Octavia II, seen an installation manual that states it can be fitted on 2005 and upwards.

http://www.carsystem...ital,id109.html

Regarding the only heating air issue, this heater is still heating the cooling water? Am i right? But it somehow bypasses the engine, there's got be a valve or something that closes when the engine is not running to isolate only the water for the cabin heating together with webasto?

Or is this webasto only blowing hot air into the cabin directly from the webasto?

I dont think that webasto directly heats the air...my understanding is that webasto heats coolant water (as stated in user manual) and then standard air blowers push the air to cabin. All the same as when engine heats the coolant water, just instead of the engine we have webasto.

How its possible that coolant water heated from webasto does not heat the engine also I dont know.

I would also like to know why and if it is possile to do some adjustment so that engine is heated also???

Thanks for the info about possibility to retrofit remote control. Will definitely look into it....

Edited by franek

I guess the Webasto heats the coolant in the heater matrix which I assume is isolated from the coolant in the engine by the thermostat (Or possibly a seperate heater thermostat) until the engine gets up to temperature.

• Like 1

I would think this is easy to do by installing a couple of one way valves in the heater pipework so warm water from the webasto cannot be pushed around the engine but water from the engine can go around the heater matrix. An engine pre-heater usually consists of a heating element in the water jacket of the engine, so heating it directly and then the water also gets pushed around the heater when you start up the car.

Webasto also do air heaters called the "air top" range so it is possible that one of those is installed in the car.

Ian

Edited by countryboy
  • Like 1