Strange tyre question..possible defect

Hi all,

I think I may have a defect tyre. The car is 8 weeks old and the tyre has now done 1098 miles. It is the front left.

There seems to be a small bulge in the sidewall. I have attached some pics but its hard to see. If you look at the line between the text and the letters 'ENG' in the word engineered you will see what I mean.

I think this may be a weak point in the tyre causing it to bulge which IMO may make it dangerous.

The wheel has NOT been kerbed, or tyre bounced of a kerb, nor has it been inflated since I have owned it.

I phoned the dealer today and spoke to the salesman who is getting service department to call me in the morning and book it in for them to assess.

If I am correct would this be covered under warranty and the tyre be replaced free of charge?

Opinions please

IMG_9846.jpg

IMG_9847.jpg

IMG_9849.jpg

That is normally caused by a big pothole. the tyre gets pinched at the sidewall between the alloy rim and the edge of said pothole. I've had it a few times over the years for that exact reason.

It could also be a defective tyre of course but I think you might have an uphill battle getting it replaced under warranty.

I wouldn't recommend driving on it as there is a massively increased risk of a blow out.

That is normally caused by a big pothole. the tyre gets pinched at the sidewall between the alloy rim and the edge of said pothole. I've had it a few times over the years for that exact reason.

It could also be a defective tyre of course but I think you might have an uphill battle getting it replaced under warranty.

I wouldn't recommend driving on it as there is a massively increased risk of a blow out.

+1

Certainly don't drive on it, even if it means buying a new one and then trying to get the rest back.

Of course the advantage you have is that if the car is less than 6 months old, they have to prove that wasn't defective at manufacture, rather than you having to prove it was.

+1

Certainly don't drive on it, even if it means buying a new one and then trying to get the rest back.

Of course the advantage you have is that if the car is less than 6 months old, they have to prove that wasn't defective at manufacture, rather than you having to prove it was.

Not good when Im going 100 miles in the morning. :(

Should I put the spare on then?

£175 bucks for a new tyre + fitting @ 8 weeks old = NOT Happy

Do whatever it takes to ensure you safe mate. That 'egg' is a ticking time bomb and is a graphic illustration of a weakened sidewall - the part of the tyre that has to be strong by design.

Yeah that tyre defo needs replacing asap it is as other members say really dangerous, i work for one of the biggest tyre manufacturers and that would definately of come back as a complaint from one of the retailers

• Like 1

Yeah that tyre defo needs replacing asap it is as other members say really dangerous, i work for one of the biggest tyre manufacturers and that would definately of come back as a complaint from one of the retailers

Whats the likely hood of replacement, baring in mind the car is 8weeks old and done 1000 miles?

After an investigation and inspection of the tyre if a manufacturing fault the customer should recieve a credit ie the tyre retailer because they would of probably replaced the faulty tyre but if yours is a new car its upto the dealer to sort it out of his service dept budget i would think

Certainly get the spare on.

If you look around, you'll probably find that tyre for a better price.

Unfortuanately, running 18" wheels with eleastic band tyres around it, increases the risk of this happening as there is no flex in the sidewall and no give. When you hit a pot hole, then it's going to put a lot more force through the area and is much more likely to damage it.

FWIW if you think it could be a pot hole, then it might be worth going after the council, but you'd have to locate the pot hole and know it was previosuly reported.

Tyre replaced by skoda foc under warranty.

Slightly grey area as to who was a fault, the tyre from new or tyre being hit of a pothole causing it to defect.

As the car was so new and mileage low skoda replaced it as good will and tyre would be sent to continental for further inspection.

Good service again from Ingram skoda, Ayr :)

• Like 1

Good result.

There is every chance that the tyre took a hit as it was being loaded on to the train from the plant to the port or when being driven around the port or up and down the ferry ramps or on and off the car transporter etc. etc.