Rear Shocks...............Bust or what

Whilst putting my Summer Wheels back on the Octy I noticed that on the Passenger side rear Shocker the plastic cover protecting the Steel rod had come loose and has dropped down exposing the steel shiny rod.

Is the shocker pooped and needs replacing or is it ok to run a round like it is.

Thanks

Auric

If there the fancy shaped things at the top ( yellow I think) there not in good condition, looked at the offside rear as well, covers on but they look like there starting the crumble.

Could this have caused the cover to fall down

Possibly. They obviously allow more vibration etc through when the bumpstops have gone hard.

When I had the rear shocks changed on mine one of the covers broke away, but has been put back using suitable mastic. It's held and is fine.

I did get the bumpstops changed at the same time, mainly because they're one of the bits that fall apart and fail, so there's no point doing the job twice.

Did you lower the car? If you've lowered it and didn't get suitable bumpstops or shorten your ones, that could be hurting things as well as obviously it'll just keep bumping off them.

• Like 1

Possibly. They obviously allow more vibration etc through when the bumpstops have gone hard.

When I had the rear shocks changed on mine one of the covers broke away, but has been put back using suitable mastic. It's held and is fine.

I did get the bumpstops changed at the same time, mainly because they're one of the bits that fall apart and fail, so there's no point doing the job twice.

Did you lower the car? If you've lowered it and didn't get suitable bumpstops or shorten your ones, that could be hurting things as well as obviously it'll just keep bumping off them.

I haven't had it lowered and I don't think the previous owner did either. Can you just change the bump stops or should I get the lot done, new shocks etc, I assume you'll have to remove the shockers to change the bump stops?

I did this job last week as my bump stops were completely shot, this guide was helpful: http://www.briskoda...._1#entry2058316

The bump stops hold the plastic covers in place, so if the stops are dead the plastic tubes will drop down.

You do need to remove the shocks to change the bump stops. You can change them separately (eg. replace the bump stops but not the shocks), but I changed everything at once anyway. Took me about 2 hours to do both, with no previous experience of working on shocks, so it's a pretty easy task. The only tool you might not have is an offset ring spanner to get the nut off the top of the shock. The OE ones were 16mm and the Bilsteins I replaced them with used 17mm. Also, undoing the 21mm bolt that holds the shock to the wishbone was a bit awkward, as the spring is in the way, but a long bit of pipe saw it come free!

If you want any more help feel free to give me a shout, it's still pretty fresh in my mind :)

Edited by AdamR

I did this job last week as my bump stops were completely shot, this guide was helpful: http://www.briskoda...._1#entry2058316

You do need to remove the shocks to change the bump stops. You can change them separately (eg. replace the bump stops but not the shocks), but I changed everything at once anyway. Took me about 2 hours to do both, with no previous experience of working on shocks, so it's a pretty easy task. The only tool you might not have is an offset ring spanner to get the nut off the top of the shock. The OE ones were 16mm and the Bilsteins I replaced them with used 17mm. Also, undoing the 21mm bolt that holds the shock to the wishbone was a bit awkward, as the spring is in the way, but a long bit of pipe saw it come free!

If you want any more help feel free to give me a shout, it's still pretty fresh in my mind :)

Thanks for that Adam, good guide and a good read.

Not very confident in carrying this out but I have a Mate who is, I'll get it sorted . Might replace the shocks as well then there done

Cheers Andy

No worries Andy - I'm sure you'll get it sorted!

£25 sounds very cheap... I did see some that were close to that price on eBay, but plumped for something half decent.