octavia front wiper problems

Octavia TDI 2002 Elegance estate, I have had problems with my front wipers for over a year now, it always seems to be when the temp outside is low this winter and last, they either won't work or seem stiff and on a recent trip coming home this week, I had to pull over 3 times to manualy grab them to make them work again, when the weather warms up no probs, I will def have to have a look this spring and sort it.

So what do you think Linkage, or wiper motor? any known probs? Can't stick another winter of this.

Common problem mine did same, need to remove wipers and scuttle panel and remove linkages and strip them down and clean and regrease them,

One of my arms was totally seized, god knows how they had worked for so long, wipers have never been better now

Been there twice. As a short term fix, spray some wd40/plus gas/something down the spindles.

However you need to take the linkage out, remove the motor, and then drop the spindles out of the bushes. Clean up the spindles - they will be rusted and pitted. Pack out between the bushes with grease and reassemble. In my experience this job needs doing about every 5-6 years (My car is 2001 with 195k on the clock).

001.jpg

002.jpg

Thank you for your help. will look at linkage first, if knacked best to sling and replace me thinks.

I dunno, it it does not take many minutes to clean up and reassemble. I don't think the design as changed, so the only thing which may differ is the rubber "rain protector" boots which are fitted above the spindles, but they are not part of the linkage and would need to be purchased separately anyway.

I am however a believer of fixing parts if I can, rather than spending money for the sake of it!