Oil Cooler Breather Hose leaking? Engine pressure?

Hi All

I;ve found pool of oil under my car and it looks like the Oil cooler is leaking. The breather hose runs along the bottom left of the engine bay to the oil cooler. I suspect it's the oil cooler leaking as it's caked in oil or could it be something else?

Also, it looks as though the oil sump might need changing - i'm going to ask someone if they can check whether it just needs a new washer and/or plug (as it's leaking from there as well).

If i do need to change the sump, is there an easier way to do this than hiring a crane to lift the engine?

Also, any ideas as to how long it would take to remove and change the sump as i'm thinking of asking a friend to do it (he works on cars but isn't familiar with Skoda's).

I might take it to a garage if it's not too expensive but my friend said it could be a 5 hour job and i can't afford 5 hours + parts at garage rates!!

thanks

Thanks Supurbia, but can i ask if you're referring to the oil cooler?

my friend has had another look at the sump plug and there is a crack right where the helicoil is (i think that's what you would call it!) It's right where the sump plug screws in - the crack starts in the hole and it's about an inch or so long.

My original idea was to weld it and seal it off and for future serving use the suction option via the dip stick tube, but that's not feasible as it's aluminium and can't be done without removing the sump - which i want to avoid as it's a big job and expensive (apparently).

if you can offer any more suggestions i would really appreciate it

Ah, Helicoil - so someone has "broken" it before this time, your right, if its cracked, and it will try to open up a bit even after the Helicoil had been fitted, then it looks like a new sump or remove and repair that one with welding up, redrilling and tapping - you would need to check costs against costs. (repairing sump against new sump)

Thanks Supurbia, but can i ask if you're referring to the oil cooler?

my friend has had another look at the sump plug and there is a crack right where the helicoil is (i think that's what you would call it!) It's right where the sump plug screws in - the crack starts in the hole and it's about an inch or so long.

My original idea was to weld it and seal it off and for future serving use the suction option via the dip stick tube, but that's not feasible as it's aluminium and can't be done without removing the sump - which i want to avoid as it's a big job and expensive (apparently).

if you can offer any more suggestions i would really appreciate it

Na, I thought you meant the large hose that runs behind the radiator tbh.