losing water with masses of white smoke

hey,

I sent of my 2005 superb to be repaired with the problem that everytime i started my car from cold it was bellowing out enough smoke that I and other cars felt like it was foggy out. In the end it was emptying a full tank of water within an hour of driving before it would stop smoking.

The head gasket, thermostat etc was done and it was fine when i picked it up until the day after when we noticed a bit of smoke again, by two days later i have the same issue again with water going within an hour and white smoke causing havoc when i drive it, so of course i am not.

Any ideas what this may be as i know it cant be the head gasket as thats been done, there doesnt appear to be any change to the oil, and the car isnt really losing any power.

spin

• 2 weeks later...

Water pump

Radiator

Hose

If it's losing that much water you should be able to see it coming out.

Smoking would indicate you are burning water which means leaky head gasket, probably a warped head, if it's not getting in the oil it will be being sucked from water way to cylinder on the induction stroke, is the car a bit lumpy running down on power? if it is I would say it's the head.

Doubt you have a major problem there did they skim the head when replacing the gasket if not this could be the problem. Failing this it sounds like a crack in the head or in the water jacket in the block either way it might be cheaper to cut your losses and just replace the engine Another thaught there is some additives that can be put into the water that might repair the crack but I suspect they might be short term fixes

Assuming this is a 1.9 tdi, they do sometimes have hairline cracks around the injector position on the flame face.

Also if head warped and wasn't skimmed before re-fitting, that's your problem.