Octavia 1.4TSI real life MPG?

Hi everyone.

Sorry if this has been done before and I appreciate that I have asked 1.2TSI owners but please could Octavia 1.4TSI owners tell me what average MPG you are getting from yours. Again also whats the best you have achieved and whats the worst?

Thank you.

Edited by SpeedyJD

Just recently sold mine, but I was getting 38-40mpg brim-to-brim on my regular commute to work (9 mile each way on mixture of dual & single carriageway roads). I often saw 47 or 48mpg on the trip computer on a long journey though, driving at about the speed limit. I reckoned the trip computer was optimistic by about 1-2mpg. My mpg got much better over about 9k-10k miles.

Just recently sold mine, but I was getting 38-40mpg brim-to-brim on my regular commute to work (9 mile each way on mixture of dual & single carriageway roads). I often saw 47 or 48mpg on the trip computer on a long journey though, driving at about the speed limit. I reckoned the trip computer was optimistic by about 1-2mpg. My mpg got much better over about 9k-10k miles.

That's good news as I have just bought a 1.4TSI Elegance and thought it was going to be loads thirstier than the 1.2TSI SE I was originally after. As long as I'm getting at least 40MPG I'll be a happy chappy.

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting about 38mpg at the moment, mainly gentle town driving. Car has done 5k miles and is still loosening up so I would like to think that the average would go up by a couple of mpg after more miles has been put on it.

A 1.4 should do better but I'm getting 43.5 from my 1.8TSI and it has not yet done 1000 miles. My typical journey is 15-20 miles some in town mostly open road travelling at the legal limit.

My 1.4 Elegance DSG has done nearly 38000 miles since new in July 2010. I only calculate brim to brim mpg so it covers everything from short journeys to long ones on the motorway (don't think the computer read-out is particularly relevant). I use c/control everywhere I can and tend to do about 73 mph on m/ways (and 70-80 on normal roads because I like to get a move on!)

I get 37-38 mpg normally. Trip to Scotland - 42mpg. I use the paddles all the time.

I feel sure you could achieve 40+ mpg regularly if you drove sensibly (unlike me).

Interested by "Flying's" comments on the 1.8 TSi. I contemplated getting this engine because it has a lot more torques and therefore might be more economical when driving sensibly. But I reckon I'd pay for it if I didn't. It was also about £1500 more and that went on leather upholstery in the 1.4.

How about an Octavia Hybrid with the 1.2 engine next?

Dilly

I get 34-36 mpg brim to brim in my 1.8TSi and I tend not to hang around as the 1.8 just loves to motor. On a run at legal motorway speeds I can get 45mpg on the computer so probably around 43mpg in reality. Booting it and running in busy town traffic and it will drop to low 30's.

I was going to get a 1.4TSi when I bought mine but only decided against it because I could not find on to test drive at the time. On reflection the 1.4 would have done me fine, but still love the 1.8 and the actually economy is not that different.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a power chip in my 1.4tsi and my average is indicating 7.2L/100klm

(39.2mpg) with fast driving. I live in Australia and we are metric over here

hence the litres per 100 klms. Before I installed the power chip (Wiring

harness bypass and not ECU remap) I was averaging 8.8l/100klms (31.7mpg)."

I have Estate 1.4 DSG, I cover 60 miles a day 3/4 of which is motorway. I calculate mine per tankful ( no maxidot)

Last couple of tanks were 47mpg, I was getting 45mpg on my winter tires/temperatures.

I confess I do drive sensibly, using lots of acceleration sense and rarely use sport mode ( although I use the tiptronic a fair bit)

I almost never go over 70 mph though. Doesn't seem to make much difference carrying passengers or a load either.

I should say in fairness, that I do try to drive economically.

The lowest I got ( after being run in around 10k ) was about 41mpg.

Before running in about 38mpg.

Edited by 1.4tsi

Low 30s in traffic starting from cold on a short run. 40 mpg typical on a longer journey if doing 70 mph. 50 mpg often achieved whilst limiting top speed to 60 mph. Overall a very good balance between mpg/power and torque/capital cost compared to a diesel. I do less than 7K miles pa so the numbers add up for me.

At a steady 70mph I can get 34 to 36mpg out of a petrol vrs... Steady 60 and it creeps to 38mpg.

Knaresbrough from Manchester and back today - 36mpg

Pretty amazing for a big hot hatch (or in my case estate)