Think I have now finished my order?

OK, well although I love my TSI VRS, putting bucket loads of fuel in it is not nice, it just takes the enjoyment out of it, so a trip to my local dealer about swapping for a diesel and it wasnt going to be much more, and with my fuel savings I would be better off, I test drove a VRS TDI DSG as they had one there and obviously it wasnt as fast or as smooth as the TSI but it was still more than adequate, so a deal was done and new one ordered!

Anyway, we decided to go to town speccing this one up, and I think we have finished adding all the toys now? We have rationalised on an awful lot recently, so thought sod it, lets have what we want in teh car so we have settled on!

VRS CR TDI DSG

Candy White

Black Alcantara Sports Interior

Black Neptune Alloys

Electric Sunroof

Bluetooth pack

Columbus Sat Nav

Rear parking sensors

auto lights/rain sensor

heated seats

spare wheel

Ok we placed the order two weeks ago, and have since added in the Columbus and Sunroof, so just awaiting confirmation from the dealer they have been added all OK, should be OK, but you just never know do you.

Yes theres stuff on there that can be got cheaper or isnt really required etc but we thought sod it, and I must admit I am looking forward to the sunroof, I have had several cars in the past with a sunroof and have always used them great for extra brightness in the cabin plus a bit of fresh air etc

Also, the Columbus whats the situation to have the video in motion?

So just the wait now, have been told it should be June, well I hope it is as the tax on my trade in is due end of June and I aint taxing this one again!!!

Got to admit this new car is going to be the balance between toys/comfort/economy plus hopefully the extra performance to occasionally put a smile on my face!

Got a great trade in price on my current TSI VRS so overall not a bad deal, all worked out well!

Now just teh wait!!!

Sounds like a really nice spec list and a sunroof would be nice in a vrs for a change.

What year/colour are u trading in?

What did u think of the power in the diesel again ur petrol? The cr can feel a bit slow twords the pd also.

You really shouldn't have bothered with the Columbus and got one for a 3rd of the price after you bought the car.

Apart from the Xenon's and sunroof, its the same spec as min....except i got the Columbus for £450 from someone on here.

You really shouldn't have bothered with the Columbus and got one for a 3rd of the price after you bought the car.

.except i got the Columbus for £450 from someone on here.

Likewise a £435 delivered, if you haven't looked into how easy they are to fit (10 minutes for a blind man) might be worth a look. £1000 left to spend on diesel would get you far or even a remap :D

• Like 1

No not going for xenons, never had them, so wont miss them, I live in a welll lit area and dont need the upgrade to be honest, maybe next time, probably just pop in upgraded bulbs, anyone recommend anything?

I was thinking about going down the ebay route for a Columbus, but being honest, you are right I could save money on it but it makes a small difference to my monthly payment on the car as opposed to finding £500 by the time you buy the facia plate etc so its simpler really, I would however prefer to buy one outright, but cant at the moment.

@davidsr20 I am trading in a July 2011 car, TSI with DSG, dont get me wrong this was a decision that has played heavily on me, I love my TSI, its great fun, was all I wanted in a car, but its just crippling me at the pumps, for example, done a trip to London from Devon the other day, roughly 430 mile round trip and it cost about £90 in fuel, and that wasnt booting it, in our old VW Touran which I know is a different animal (was the old 1.9TDI 105BHP engine) I could easily do London and back from home on a full tank and still have enough diesel left over for a good 100 or so miles, so whilst I dont really want rid of the TSI it just makes some sense, and whilst the diesel will not be as much fun etc to drive as mine it will be more than adequate I am sure, then I could always have it mapped as well to get a bit more power out of it if I wanted I suppose, so its not all bad!

Good luck with the new car - spec sounds spot on. I'd swap out the Columbus as well and use some of that on Xenons. The Bolero is spot on for what I need and the TomTom comes on when I don't know where I'm going :)

I'd not go for white myself but good on you for the sunroof choice - wish more people would spec them, as they're really difficult to find on 2nd hand cars now! Suppose people don't bother as much, now aircon/climate is everywhere. It does add something to the cabin and great for getting fresh air in.

Best of luck with it :thumbup:

Ur perfectly rite going for the diesel, iv one myself and would never go back to a petrol.

I went petrol vrs to diesel vrs back to petrol vrs. Would never go for diesel again unless it was a 335d or similar but then no benefit economy wise. I found the diesel a bit slow and boring but that's just my opinion. I didn't find my cr particularly economical either but that was probably because I had to drive it hard to make decent progress. As for pd vs cr there's nothing in it performance wise. The pd feels quicker (note FEELS) for a split second but then that's it nothing left. The CR is more linear in its power delivery.

I know you think the xenons are not required but I can assure you that they make a huge difference to night driving either on a back road or a well light up area.

Columbus is a doddle to fit afterwards. Even if you saved for a few months to buy it you're throwing money down the pan paying full price for it. It's not worth what the factory fit price is at all.

True, what you are saying is right! But I dont know, hopefully the order is accepted and started being built then my decisions are out of my hands! But I see what you are saying? Decisions decisions!

VRS CR TDI DSG

Candy White

Black Alcantara Sports Interior

Black Neptune Alloys

Electric Sunroof

Bluetooth pack

Columbus Sat Nav

Rear parking sensors

auto lights/rain sensor

heated seats

spare wheel

Nice spec. Very similar to mine. I'm also going for a sunroof on the "next" car.

Personally, I'd have xenons over a columbus - i have a garmin hardwired, cost peanuts compared to a columbus and will be swapped to the next car etc.. I know you say its only a few quid per month but I just baulk at the 1600 quid or whatever the list price for that is now - shocking IMO.

The only other things i would add (for me) would be the curtain airbags and MDI. For safety reasons I'd feel terrible if i had an accident and a passenger got hurt and i'd NOT spec'd the extra airbags.. MDi just because its great to be able to pop your ipod in the glovebox and control all your music from the bolero.

:)

Yep, MDI definitely. And that's one of the options that's cheaper to get fitted at the factory than retro fit (compared with the Columbus!)

In-built satnavs just seem to have a pricing cartel. As if the consumer expects to have to pay that much for one that's stuck in the dash. And £1600 is one of the cheaper option prices I've seen, compared with some of the BMW and Merc systems for example. Yet the functionality and mapping is arguably worse than a brand new £150 TomTom. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Thinking about it one days like today I really miss the sunroof on my old Elegance :'( ...had never thought of it until now, but if I ever buy a new one again, I would pay for it - worth every penny in the sunshine! :sun:

Ive done 2000 miles in mine now and average from new is 42.5 mpg. £80 approx to fill and 500-550 miles to the tank.

Will it save you that much? Considering the cost to trade and buy new etc?

One thing to bare in mind, it's very hard to guarantee a second hand Columbus' history. Any that pop up on here are likely to be more trustworthy, however that very rarely happens. I'm in the market myself at the moment, but don't want a likely stolen one off eBay.

Just quite a pricey option really, considering other more popular additions on the options list. About £700 is it for one?

£720 = £576 with the 20% off at the moment...maybe that's why not many go for them. On my 2001 Elegance it was standard!

£720 = £576 with the 20% off at the moment...maybe that's why not many go for them. On my 2001 Elegance it was standard!

Wrong. You aren't paying the 'vat' so you aren't paying the 20% not taking it off. So the amount is actually £600. Clever advertising with the 'vat free'

Ive done 2000 miles in mine now and average from new is 42.5 mpg. £80 approx to fill and 500-550 miles to the tank.

Will it save you that much? Considering the cost to trade and buy new etc?

Only 42? I get that only if I nail it everywhere. Usually get 50 on my commute to work on motorway.

Wrong. You aren't paying the 'vat' so you aren't paying the 20% not taking it off. So the amount is actually £600. Clever advertising with the 'vat free'

:doh: Yes, you're right...my maths was too quick and wrong!! It is £600 plus vat...not £720 less 20%...if I was speccing a new car I'd stick with the Bolero and have a sunroof!!

Only 42? I get that only if I nail it everywhere. Usually get 50 on my commute to work on motorway.

Does seem a bit low, especially for a CR.

My tweaked 140 I get about 48 combined (brim-to-brim calc). Trip comp's also been adjusted to brim accuracy too. So I know if I dip below 40 on a trip I've really been making progress :)

I averaged 37 in my cr!