Air Con Compressor belt snapped?

My 07 VRS had an oil service and MOT today at a local garage. Car's only done 6K miles. On my way home, I noticed a whining noise that corresponded with the air con being switched on. Just before I got home, I heard a thump (like a belt snapping) and the incoming air went from cold to outside temperature. Also of interest, when I switched the air con on one day last week, it was only pumping warm air for the first 5 minutes or so, then it suddenly went cold. I assumed a seal or valve or something was sticking because I've not had it on cold for a few months, however I normally use the air con when warming the car in the winter as I read somewhere that it should be used regularly to prevent drying up of the seals.

Will ring garage tomorrow, but in the meantime, do you guys think it was just the belt or am I looking at a hefty bill for a new compressor? Where is the belt located so I can check it?

The same belt also runs the alternator IIRC, and the alternator pulleys are made out of cheese and regularly seize up, which can cause the belt to snap. I would take a look there first, but it could be the A/C compressor.
Found some MK I pics via Google and it looks like you're correct. I don't remember seeing any warning lights on the dash board, so it could well be the compressor. :(

Last year I copped the ESP/ABS sensor fault, this year its the air con. Bloody thing is falling apart and very poor considering the mileage.

6k on an 07 car :-o
And genuine as well...I bought the car brand new. Should use it more but I never need to drive far.

As its been said the belt also drives the alternator and if that isnt running you will soon know about it! Even if the battery has the 11 volts needed to start the car the ECU will soon eat up the rest, you will get every warning light EPC, Engine, ABS, Airbag, etc followed by a breakdown due to lack of power to feed the ECU.

Just had a look. I assume it's the uncovered serpentine belt on the L.H.S. of the engine looking from the front as it drives several things, two of which look like an air con compressor and an alternator. :)

If so, the belt is fine. The whining noise stopped when I heard the thump and the compressor is turning without any wobble so I assume the shaft hasn't broken. Should this type of fault show up on the diagnostics?