MFD2 and maxidot issue (factory fit)

Good morning all

I have a 2006 Octavia Combi Elegance 1.9TDi with factory fit satnav, maxidot and cd changer in the boot. I think its the mfd2, it's not the touch screen and has a column of buttons down each side and all the functions radio/cd/aux/.../map/navi across the bottom on real buttons.

Until recently it has worked fine but now the satnav instructions don't appear in the maxi dot and when I hold the stalk to get a list of options on the maxidot, the radio and sat nav options aren't there anymore.

Also, the radio doesn't turn on automatically when I start the car, it used to. Interestingly though it does switch off and the display dims when I change the illumination setting on the dash.

I've tried to look through the forums but I can't really make sense of this particular problem.

Could anyone please advise me what the problem is likely to be and how I wold go about getting it fixed.

Many thanks in advance,

Lee

Pull the trim off, undo the four screws and pull the unit out and disconnect the multi plug at the back.

Then reconnect the multiplug and turn the ignition on and see if the options reappear. It could just be a loose connection, or the unit needs a hard reboot (which I can't remember how to do on the MFD2).

You won't need to know the code as the ECU stores it so will recognise the radio.

If that doesn't work, get a scan done with VCDS to see if there are any CANBUS errors logged.

You haven't had anything extra fitted on to the CANBUS such as a handsfree kit or an ipod interface have you?

Hi Andy

Thanks for that - no I've not had anything added to the car but recently had the EGR valve done and the garage reset the "emissions workshop!" code - but I can't recall if it went off at the same time.

I'll find out how to remove the trim and do what you suggest.

Many thanks

Lee

The fact that it doesn't turn on with the ignition is a tad concerning - it points to an issue with the MFD2 communicating on the CANBUS, hence why you have nothing on the Maxidot. I would get a scan done and see what errors are logged. Did all the wires seem secure in the multiplug when you disconnected it?