How to add extra fuses to fuse box?

eddie3000

Hi! I just installed a parking sensor kit to my roomster. Had a fair bit or work getting all the cables back and forth, but it's nearly finished.

I checked my fuse box, and I found that fuse 10 is available and not used by anything, it powers on with the ignition and turns off when the car is off. The problem is that it is missing one metal contact where I would have to attatch the power cable that goes straight to the parking sensor control box. Does anyone know what I have to do? Do I need to purchase a special part or something? Is it easy? Do you recommend something else instead? While I was at it, I was thinking of adding an extra 12V power plug in the boot as well. I do not want to put a tap into any other fuse if at all possible. Thanks.

I came across the same problem when installing my parking sensor kit.

In order to get a feed out, you would need a VW repair wire (this should help guide you) to plug in the back of the fuse board. If there is no feed in to the fuseboard, then I can't help as I am in the same position. I found that the two spaces in the fuse board marked for parking sensors did not have the electrical feed in to the fuse board.

So I'll probably end up using a different spare socket when I finish it off soon.

Hey thanks! Nice to get an answer so quick.

Well yes, I think we are both in similar positions. My fuse box physically has the metal terminal with 12V on it, it is missing the second terminal. Thanks to your link, I guess I could look around, maybe ebay, and get the necessary bit of wire with a terminal on the end. In the worst case, I can modify a fuse and make my own connector, but it won't look as neat.

If you have the metal terminal for power in, then all you need is the repair wire from a dealer (about £4-6 if I remember correctly) and follow the instructions.

If you have the necessary crimping tools, I think these are the correct terminals for the 12v switched feed you'll be needing. When I emailed the company selling them, I got a friendly response, but they did not know whether they were the right ones or not.

Keep it neat - that's why I'm searching around for the best way of doing it.

If you get any more news, do post back and share.

Well very good job. I've been looking around ebay all morning and haven't found the exact part. The thing is, will those terminals you have spotted fit snuggly inside the fuse box?

I'm not too fond of crimping, I always prefer soldering when possible, but that's just me.

I still haven't pulled my fuse box apart so I don't know what it's like inside. And I've seen many on the internet but none like mine.

I had also thought of passing by the scrap yard this evening, maybe I could get an entire fuse box cheaply (or free). But even so, the ebay price you pointed out may well be worth taking the risk. It's the waiting for the parcel to arive that bothers me;-)

Thanks again mate! You are really doing your homework.

Looks right - but check the correct size on your fuseboard.

The switched live only needs to be a 2.8mm and the one in the picture looks bigger.

Crimp and solder? Especially on the really small terminals.

I have intentions of going to a scrap yard to try and find the pieces I need as well. Might then sell the new parts I have if I don't need them. Won't really know until I get down there. Getting them out of the fuseboard seems to require a special tool, but I'm pretty confident that a paper clip bent double would work.

I've had quite a bit of time to research it (have spent 3 months investigating the sensor instal) and have spent the last four days in bed following a minor op!

Solved! I think I did the best thing in the end. I went to a Seat dealer I just happened to pass by, gave him the reference numbers, and I ordered some 4.8mm fuse box terminals. I'll collect them on Monday. The only catch is you can't buy just one because they come in packs of five, and it cost me eleven euros and fifteen cents. So I have four left over for future expansions.

I went to the scrap yard before hand, and they wouldn't bother in getting one cable out, they offered the entire fuse box, and even though it might have been good value for money, it was more expensive than just the new cables, and I really didn't need a whole fuse box for anything at all.

So that's my story. On Monday I'll have my parking sensors fully installed with their own dedicated fuse in the fuse box. And, as I mentioned earlier, I can add an extra fuse for a 12V plug in the boot I was planning as well.

Thanks KBphoto for yor time. I hope you recover soon.

Edited by eddie3000