Auto folding mirrors, anyone done them?

I fancy some auto folding mirrors, was wondering if an OEM VAG mechanism could be high jacked and used for the fabia.

I've noticed a 2003 Leon FR in work with them (either that or he folda both everday), could be worth investigating?

Anyone tried it before?

Could be an interesting idea, my 2001 Audi A8 seems to have the same mirrors are the MK1 Octavia and Fabia and it has folding mirrors although via the switch on the drivers door.

Could be an interesting idea, my 2001 Audi A8 seems to have the same mirrors are the MK1 Octavia and Fabia and it has folding mirrors although via the switch on the drivers door.

This is really interesting.Can you get a picture of your A8 mirrors? And it has a separate switch on the driver's door to activate them?

I can imagine it would only be the Ibiza ones that will fit, I've been having a good think about it aswell....

Although saying that wouldn't the MK4 Golf mirrors be a straight swap?

Possibly, but do Golf 4 mirrors fold?

I think the most logical way to do it would be to change the whole mirror, and alter the loom. This would mean the mirrors would have to be of a similar shape, so that probably rules out 2008 odd models?

The A8 sounds like best bet at the mo, from looking at pictures they look similar to the Fabia. Mannyo if you could have a look and get back to us about similarities and the button that activates them that would be great!

Golf one's don't fold - but they do have the option to fold them on the switch. I got all disappointed when I found out they didn't do anything. :(

What do you mean exactly? That it had the option on the switch itself, but it didn't actually do anything?

Correct, the switch has the position for folding, but not the motors.

I just did some reading, and it seems EU/JDM cars have folding ones, but not UK. To fit them on a Golf you seem to need wiring, motoring etc, maybe a new CCM, window regulators:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/16859/160744.aspx#160744

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/47375/367592.aspx#367592

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/30363/258682.aspx#258682

Edited by TriggerFish

I've looked into this a couple of times over the years and always concluded that not only is it nigh on impossible.. but the cost would be through the roof...

However, times move on and people are always coming up with new hacks so lets see what comes up.. I was always going down the folding Superb mirror parts bin idea.. But then always hit upon the fact that they're not an independent motor but it's all don't through the window setup...

Yes the electronics in the window regulators are different so they would need chaning.

As well as the extra wiring. Depends if you can find all the bits at a reasonable cost.

I have also seen talk of fitting a relay from an Audi A8 that will fold/unfold the mirrors with locking/unlocking the car... very cool.

Would need to be bits from the same platform or similar years as most of the wiring harnesses are the same.

Phil

MK1 Seat leon mirrors should do the job, Cupra R models before late 03/53 as they were then facelifted to the 'tear drop style' So youve got 02/52/03.. All are electric folding from the button inside.