Buying Advice

Hiya Old Forum Friends,,,

Had a few skodas in the past,,,, stupidly went for a Honda Accord after previous Fab and Octy Vrs's,,, now so bored of Accord and v worried about future repair bills that Im starting to look around for another Octy....

Is this anyone's old car from here,,,,

http://www.thekirkcaldymotorcompany.co.uk/used-cars/skoda-octavia-1-9-tdi-pd-elegance-5dr-kirkcaldy-201211456593398

Looks decent and a fair price for the age and mileage.

Like the colour too, and Elegance spec with the 17" Pegasus wheel upgrade. Nice to see a sunroof in addition to climate control as well (wish mine had that :))

• Like 1

I like the upgraded Pegasus alloys too but check it also doesn't also have the factory fit sports suspension too that was quite often specced with these wheels.

I like the upgraded Pegasus alloys too but check it also doesn't also have the factory fit sports suspension too that was quite often specced with these wheels.

Any obvious way of checking this without driving it mate ??

Same age as mine, I would definitely check the rear wash.... look in boot left hand side near base of wheel arch and at tailgate latch on boot lid for signs of water. You should get a healthy twin jet of water from the twin washers. I replaced mine - another £80.00 quid all in. (I fitted it).

I have 65000 on the clock. Drives well but noisy, pulls very well on boost. Stalled it a couple of times on take off I used to low revs.

Other than that its excellent.

Hello mate.

I've got a 56 plate 1.9PD Elegance which I've owned for nine months now.

Like you, my previous car was a Honda, and in all fairness it was a cracking vehicle which lived up to the Honda reputation for reliability.

However, due to a change of circumstances with my job, I needed an economical vehicle, capable of a 100 mile a day commute.

I had considered VW, Audi & Honda diesels. But for sheer value for money, you cannot beat the Skoda.

Being an elegance, it comes with all the whistles & bells and the seats are, in my opinion, very comfortable indeed.

In the past nine months I have covered 14k miles and apart from routine servicing & a cambelt change, it has been an absolutely faultless. I get mid 50's mpg as nearly all of my journey is motorway and the engine uses no oil at all, even with 58k on the clock.

It was a huge leap of faith for me to change from Honda to Skoda, but I'm glad I did. I'll certainly buy another Skoda. Maybe a FL estate next time.

Hope this helps you with your decision & good luck.

It was quite common if the Pegasus wheels are fitted, they tended to get fitted to the Elegance when the 'Sports Suspension' option was ticked. Rather than people just asking for upgraded, larger wheels on their own.

It's a bit hard to tell from those pics as they don't really seem to be on a level surface, but with the Sports suspension option the car sits 10mm lower than an Elegance on the std 16s.

Hello mate.

I've got a 56 plate 1.9PD Elegance which I've owned for nine months now.

Like you, my previous car was a Honda, and in all fairness it was a cracking vehicle which lived up to the Honda reputation for reliability.

However, due to a change of circumstances with my job, I needed an economical vehicle, capable of a 100 mile a day commute.

I had considered VW, Audi & Honda diesels. But for sheer value for money, you cannot beat the Skoda.

Being an elegance, it comes with all the whistles & bells and the seats are, in my opinion, very comfortable indeed.

In the past nine months I have covered 14k miles and apart from routine servicing & a cambelt change, it has been an absolutely faultless. I get mid 50's mpg as nearly all of my journey is motorway and the engine uses no oil at all, even with 58k on the clock.

It was a huge leap of faith for me to change from Honda to Skoda, but I'm glad I did. I'll certainly buy another Skoda. Maybe a FL estate next time.

Hope this helps you with your decision & good luck.

mate did you have the diesel honda ?? im wondering if there is much real world power difference , between the 2.2 accord and the 1.9 octy ?

It was quite common if the Pegasus wheels are fitted, they tended to get fitted to the Elegance when the 'Sports Suspension' option was ticked. Rather than people just asking for upgraded, larger wheels on their own.

It's a bit hard to tell from those pics as they don't really seem to be on a level surface, but with the Sports suspension option the car sits 10mm lower than an Elegance on the std 16s.

is the ride poor with the sports suspension then wardy ? not recommended ?

If you have access to the car and can get the VIN (visable in the windscreen) you can look up the vehicle's details at https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do under the "Vehicle-specific information" tab.It would cost €5 for a day's access but it will give a complete list of every single option fitted to the car at the factory. Included is the tyre size and even the part number for the type of alloy wheel.HTH

is the ride poor with the sports suspension then wardy ? not recommended ?

Depends what your expectations are really. For the average buyer it's probably slightly firmer and obviously coupled with the 17" wheels and larger, low-profile tyres it will feel 'sportier' I'd expect.

But for me I replaced the suspension on mine (Elegance with the Sports suspension and 17" wheels) for Eibach springs and Koni FSD dampers.

So it's all about what you want the car to do. Best advice is to go and try a few - ideally an Elegance with the std suspension and 16" wheels, then one with the Sports suspension and 17" wheels.

No mate. I had the 2 ltr petrol Accord sport. However, a good mate of mine has a Honda CRV 2.2 diesel executive.

It's a lovely car, full leather, sat nav etc, and it's a lovely car to drive.

I drove it to York last year, a journey of 80 miles and I was very impressed with the engine as it was very smooth, quiet & pulled like a train.

However, there is one thing that concerns me about that engine and that is the oil consumption. My mates car uses a hell of a lot between services & he has been advised by Honda that it is quite normal. 1 litre per 625 miles is quite acceptable according to Honda UK.

If you search the forums regarding the 2.2 Honda diesel, there are numerous reports of excessive oil consumption.

And that is why I chose not to buy a Honda diesel.

Hope this helps.

I had a FR-V 2.2 I-ctdi before my current CR VRS. The FR-V was a great car - I had it 3 years, doing approx. 10k miles in each, and it used less than 1 litre of oil between annual services. It wa both powerful and economical, but the VRS is better ????