Fabia 1.4 8v "normal" running temperature?

Was out in the Missus Fabia Classic (1.4 8v MPi) at the weekend, as a passenger..and whilst the car seemed quite happy (albeit smelling a bit oily,as it has at least 1 damn oil leak from the crank), I noted that the engine temp gauge read around 1/4..not hanging about, not ripping, just normal driving on a 10 mile or so trip.

Is this "normal"? On My Astra, "normal" is around 90degrees, halfway on the gauge. The only time the Fabia hit mid-gauge was on the run back, where the final leg is mostly gradient of some sort.

If it's NOT quite right, what's most likely? Iffy sensor, or semi-duff 'stat? Engine's on 102k, usually only used for very short runs.

The haynes guide to the stat looks simple enough - anything I need to be aware of?

I had the same with mine, replaced the thermostat, housing and sensor and all was good. The housing has a habit of corroding and falling apart which was my problem but been running fine for a while now. Gets up to temperature even on a cold day within 5-10 minutes.

• Like 1

Check thermostat, remove the temperature sensor on top of the housing and have a poke around inside (when the engine is cold or you will have a shock) if the thermostat has collapsed that could be your problem!

• Like 1

Hi, I'm currently having the same situation with my Octavia; changed the coolant sensor which stabilised the needle (it was erratic) but it still isn't climbing much over 1/8th 1/4 (and if it ever does through duress it goes back down immediately) so that I ordered a thermostat now on the advice of the guys here.

I'll keep you in touch this week with any instant improvement or not with it. Costs about £8 so you can't go wrong either way :)

Ah, wonderful.. :) Thankyou to all - I'll add it to my "service items" list. Looks about the same level of technicality as older Rovers etc. All good!

Not like my 8valver, where GM saw fit to stick it in the pump body, behind the timing belt.....grr...

Worth pointing out 90 is at 12 o'clock position or half way on the dial and it should reach it within a few miles easily. It's a cheap fix and a common issue for the 'stat assembly/case and/or the temp sensor to fail. If you're ordering from the dealer get a quote for the 'stat and the body together as the package price isn't much more than either part by itself. If not ECP/GSF/TPS etc are all quite reasonable.

• Like 1

Just had mine changed and there is a great difference. I get to a quarter after about 3 miles and get to half within 5 or 6 going slow, or maybe 4 going on a main road. The heater is also now working much better.