A list of problems

There's been a few minor niggles and issues with my 2002 Fabia 1.4 MPI Classic recently, and wondered if anyone might be able to spot a pattern and see if there's one thing that might be wrong. Chain of events as below:

• A few weeks ago the battery went, so I bought a replacement and fitted it. However, the battery was a few mm taller than the old one, so the battery cover was slightly higher and the bonnet pushes down on it a little when it's closed.
  • Last week, the driver's side headlight low beam bulb went (although it hadn't been changed for as long as I've had the car - 2 and a half years - so was due a change I'm sure). I changed this tonight no problem, but then found the side light on the same side had gone as well. I think it was working just before I changed the bulb but can't be 100% sure.
  • Just before I changed the bulb, the engine management warning light came on and has stayed on despite a test drive and perhaps 5 starts of the engine. The engine seems a little shuddery, especially just after revving when idle, but it still does seem to be running OK apart from that (it's always been a little shuddery when idle, just a little).
  • There appears to be a coolant leak as I have to top the coolant up every couple of months (as the level drops) and the coolant warning light comes on.

Are these things likely to be a coincidence or all related? Could it all stem from the battery being a bit taller than the old one? And is it likely I somehow damaged the side light when changing the low beam (although I don't remember touching it at all). Sorry for all the questions, but get the feeling a diagnostic trip to the local garage might be beckoning!

Where are you based? Perhaps contact a friendly local Briskodian with VCDS to scan the vehicle before the trip to the garage??

Thanks, I'm based in Rochdale. I've never taken the car to a Skoda dealership before but wondering if it's worth it to get them to take a proper look at it.

Thanks, I'm based in Rochdale. I've never taken the car to a Skoda dealership before but wondering if it's worth it to get them to take a proper look at it.

You could do, but then expect to pay top whack for anything they find the matter with it.

You could do, but then expect to pay top whack for anything they find the matter with it.

That's what I was afraid of! Wondering if they are all just quirks of a 10 year old car or if it's a specific problem causing everything.

That's what I was afraid of! Wondering if they are all just quirks of a 10 year old car or if it's a specific problem causing everything.

Difficult to say. If it were me, I'd get it scanned as this may give a better indication as to what is casusing the problems.

As Jonny5live said borrow local briskodians vcds and have a look at what code it's giving, no point in paying large sums for someone else to do it!

If it were me i'd be purchasing a suitable lead for a fiver from ebay and downloading and registering the shareware version of VCDS, it'll cost you nothing but give you the basic fault code reading ability you need at minimal outlay. You could just be unlucky with the bulbs or it could be more serious like an alternator but it could equally be anything in between. If the leak is that minor have a look at the hose joints and the rad itself for evidence of pin-holing, you'll normally find the white deposits left as the coolant evaporates, in my case at the lower corner of the rad. If you're bothered enough to replace the rad then it's easy enough to do but time consuming, KSeal (please not Radweld) is popular with the MG brigade for such situations but it's up to you.