Any chance new Tfsi octy 2s will have encrypted Ecu?

The ECU is removed and opened so that access can be gained to certain parts of the PCB. Have a look on your ECU as some do and some dont have protective seals. With a new car too as its still under warranty you're best to have the unit that stores both original and performance maps on it so you can swap over when the car goes in for warranty work. If you give me the date of registration and exact model I can double check for you if a bench remap is needed.

Edited by BroTek

Thanks, the issue is that it's a new car that I've ordered. Basically I used to have a 2006 Tfsi octy and just had a Blufin handset that allowed me to switch the map when in for service and warrantee.

So basically if I can't re-map it then I'll have to cancel the order and buy something else :(

I imagine with a bench remap, I can just swap the maps via the OBD port?

Right lets just Clarify something rather than people being fed duff info.

There is no way of knowing if your car is mappable via OBD just by telling someone on the internet what model engine it is.

Firstly - Although Skoda still insist on calling it a TFSi unit. The FL vRS have a 2.0TSi unit. If you don't beleive me open the bonnet and look at the engine. IIRC from 09 onwards they were TSi

Secondly - It is the ECU revision & software which will dictate wether or not it is a Bench Flash or mappable via OBD port.

As i have already said my 2011 2.0 TSi vRS was mappable through the OBD Port. However a 2011 61 Plate 2.0TSi vRS had to be bench flashed. So it is the luck of the draw.

Depending on who you use will depend on how the bench flash works. Some do it so that they bench flash and then all alterations are done via OBD. Others do it by bench falsh only

Hope that helps

• Like 1

+1 with Carl...it is to do with the Engine Control Unit version, not the engine!

A 2.0TSI in a GOLF will not be OBD mappable, you have to open the CU and put it into "boot" mode!

A 2011 Octavia vRS is on the other hand as we mapped the vRS on the salt flats through the OBD socket!

Honestly, it is so hard to see a control unit is mapped these days!...harder than people make out to the extent no one can really tell you if it is mapped!

• Like 1

A 2011 Octavia vRS is on the other hand as we mapped the vRS on the salt flats through the OBD socket!

It seems to be MY12 onwards that it's hit and miss with as the 61plate car was a MY12 car. They are on MY13 now (or will be very shortly) so i wouldn't be surprised to see more and more coming locked.

2011 vRS 2.0TSI here and was OK to map via OBD, however as said by previous posts it appears they are becoming encrypted after this date. So only way of being 100% is to try.

It seems to be MY12 onwards that it's hit and miss with as the 61plate car was a MY12 car. They are on MY13 now (or will be very shortly) so i wouldn't be surprised to see more and more coming locked.

I guess we will just have to wait and see!