Cambelt / water pump on BTS engine

My '57 Fabia 2 with the 1.6 BTS engine is nearing 50,000 miles. Has it got a belt or chain cam drive? As Haynes don't produce manual for this model I'm a bit stuck. Use the manual from my son's old shape Fabia in the main but BTS doesn't feature.

If it's a belt drive, what mileage to change, assume should replace water pump too, has anyone put one of those really detailed photo / instruction thingys on Briskoda yet? I much appreciated similar guide for console bushes on mark 1.

By the way, I've had it for 2 and a half years and hardly anything gone wrong, even the front pads are ok for another 8 - 10,000 miles.

Just done routine filters etc which are all fairly inexpensive, Quantum III oil is reasonably pricedat VW/ Seat/ Skoda dealers

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised that no replies- is it because Briskodans aren't sure if it's belt or chain? When are Haynes going to produce Fabia 2 manual?

It's got a cambelt. Don't know what the current recommended change interval is but I would check with your dealer as manufacturers often update the information in the owners manual. I would think yours is at or near it's change time which is often in the region of 4 years or 40,000 miles these days. I would use the manufacturers cambelt kit which comes with a belt, water pump, and tensioner.

Edited by Estate Man

• 6 years later...