bye bye VRS?

Well.

Monday morning some inconsiderate **** decided he was going to crash through my rear quater and ruin my week. I have just heared back from my insurance who say there is 69% of the vehicle value has been damaged....

Someone told me that if its over 50% they write it off.. Is this true???? am i going to be looking for a new VRS soon??

anyone who has been in a similar situation please can you shine some light on this as im sitting on pins here lol

It depends on the insurer, some work to a higher percentage, i've known people ask for a 2nd opinion at a different repairer (the insurance company like using nominated repairers as they get better rates however this can and does backfire as sometimes the quotes are just silly) but i'd assume 69% is probably a step too far. The way i've always thought about it is if the damage is severe then would you really want it back?

i dont want it back as a car is never the same after an accident but i dont get that choice as its with the 3rd parties insurance.

Or do i get the choice? I have never been in a crash before

I haven't any references to quote but conversation I had years ago...

They can write off any vehicle if it's registered in the UK. Registered elsewhere and they have a problem...

I don't know much about UK insurance, but according to the documents that came with my Audi, the insurance company, at the time, had a 45% limit. That was irrelevant however, since the car wasn't insured at the time of the crash. Again, this was in 1992. I'm afraid I don't have any newer information.

69% damage to a VRS is far too much for repair. Unless there is anything special about the car, it going to get written off. I can almost guarantee it. And for the record, I don't know what kind of damage it has, but I wouldn't want to have it repaired if it was mine. 69% doesn't sound like a fender bender, mate.

Edited by DaKKs_152

Well....you don't really want the car back and the one and only simple explanation is: As soon as you claim against the car, the car is listed in every Insurance database as Category B, C, or D. By law you have to disclose this to any potential buyer or dealer (part ex) so the resale value of your car is going to be 40% less than equivalent "clean" car. Even a small fender bender or scratch repaired using the insurance company devalue your car on the spot.