Octavia - wiper problem (front & rear)

Hi all

First time poster here - I have an 03 VRS and have developed a wiper fault...

I have read up on a few of the problems on this forum and another, which point to it being motor or relay related. Or at a long shot it might be the control stalk.

My problem is that both the front and rear have gone mental! Currently, once on they stay on...!

Occasionally having the front off and the rear on means neither work - anything else tends to put them both on.

Putting the front on fastest setting does set the front to fast.

My question is whether the relay operates both front and rear? If it doesn't, then I guess it's not a relay issue?

Thanks in advance.

BB

Edited by badbobby

Quite often wiper problems are caused by water ingress into the rear wiper motor assembly (hatch). The quick and easy test is to pop of the rear boot trim and disconnect the rear wiper motor.

If you get a free bath at the same time, then you have located the source of the problem.

Scotty, fantastic - i just checked and didn't get soaked, but I couldn't do a full examination of the motor/or disconnect it as i'm in my work suit.

So if I disconnect the motor, the front blades should start working properly. If not, then it's probably the relays?

Presumably this is a "new motor" job?

Edited by badbobby

i have the same prob with mine but only the front wiper.

disconnected the rear motor still does it, so last night i removed the linkage to replace the lot with one from a golf and it had the wrong multiplug on it. put mine back in and it was fine :) come out this am and the bl00dy things playing up again.

do your wipers park high as well when you put it on intermittent?

Right - thanks for all the help.

I have disconnected the rear motor and it has solved the problem with the front, so it's at least temporarily sorted.

Whilst I didn't get wet, the lead felt wet, so I guess that must have done something to it - waiting for it to dry out and see if that solves it.

If not, is it a new motor, lead or both that need replacing?

Furry - they don't park high - they are either constantly on or they are working properly.

The hatch wipers can either suffer issues with the washer pipe, the seal/washer on the glass or water coming down the spline into the motor.

I think you will find that the lead and motor are ok, you just need to cure the water leak from the outside.

Edited by mbames