intermitent heavy steering

I am having a strange with my power steering. Every few days while into a journey or at the begining my steering gets heavier. Not so heavy thats its unsafe but noticably heavier. I understand its electo hydraulic power steering so battery voltage etc could be an issue but it starts always first time. Any help would be great or similar experiences. Its an 04 plate vrs.

Thanks olly

Battery/alternator voltage, earth, fuses (flat ones on top of the battery box), PAS fluid level, bleed fluid, read fault codes, replace sensor (if fault code confirms) and i'd check them in that order.

It's interesting you should post this as i've been on a bit of a steering problem hunt myself and we could possibly have the same issues!

It started three months back when my power steering pump would work intermitently. Anyway, it eventually stopped working for good with the light constantly on. It was like this whilst i diagnosed the problem which was eventuallly resulted in a new pump being sourced and fitted.

This solved the problem in that i now had power assisted steering, albeit that it was heavier than it was before. noticable heavier to be honest. The steering warning light remained on, so i then obtained a friends vagcom and tried to clear the fault codes. The problem was, the code (which i can no longer remember) came back immediately. The light is still on, i still have heavy steerring, but sometimes, when i reverse, the steering becomes incredibly light...so the pump is clearly working.

Having researched the forum i noticed that alternator issues are linked to power steering issues and upon closure inspection i notice i was getting not battery warning light prior to starting the engine. Tonight i have located the infamous broken alternator sense wire and repaired it. I now get a battery warning light on igntion which goes out after the engine is started! BUT.....i still have my power steering light on which heavy steering.

I've check the fuses onto of the battery and they were fine so, I'm going to check the battery voltage tomorrow but i'm begininng to think it may be the steering angle sensor........does anyone have any thoughts as i'm running out of ideas.

Ideally, i'd like to run vagcom and attempt to clear the faultcodes again.

Regards

Jonathan

Thanks for the replies, i shall start with the obvious checks then start more in depth. I am hoping its not the pump etc otherwise its going to be another expense on the car! Sorry to hear you are having.similar issues jonto, how old is youre fabia?

When checking the pump, ecu and wiring for the power steering is it easier to have the bumper removed?

Thanks olly

Had the same symptoms, replaced the PAS pump (at great expense) along with alternator and battery (warranty) still had the problem which was a bit scary when changing lanes on a dual carriageway at 50mph. it turned out to be the earth which was £15 to fix

The PAS pump is very demanding in terms of AMP's so an old/under charged battery is the most likely culprit.