Hi!

I've been having a problem with my car recently. It's a 2000 (V) Reg Felicia.

It starts and runs normally- no problems, plenty of power.

Twice now I've been out in it and when I've stopped, there's been lots of smoke coming from under the bonnet. It -stinks- too. I don't know where the smoke is coming from.

It has always had a minor oil leak that has never resulted in a shortage of oil. (I keep it checked and topped up.) Garage thinks it is oil spraying onto something hot and smoking, but they're not too keen to hunt down the leak.

I know it's really hard to diagnose something from these details, but does anyone have any thoughts? If I can't get this sorted, I'm getting another car and I'd like to keep this one if I can. This is its last hope, so to speak.

Thank you. :)

Don't think there is a PCV valve on the Felicia.

The only thing hot enough to make oil really stink would be the exhaust - if it's doing that it should be dead easy to spot - sounds like you need a better garage!

besides the obvious rocker-cover and two 10mm bolt/rubber seals holding it down, might be worth checking the front of the engine where the oblong cam-follower inspection plate sits...its held on with 4x 10m nuts and is forever loosening. - 4th nut behind the altenator is a bugger to get at. -other than those, the engines are pretty oil-tight and shouldnt leak oil at all. i'd have thought if there was enough oil getting out to smoke as bad as you've described, it'd be pretty easy to locate. - best of luck.

Yeah, finding the leak should be easy, if it is indeed burning oil. If it's not immediately apparent then clean the engine off (jetwash, plus appropriate pre-treatment), and then see where the oil is coming from.

Hey, I'm a -she-, thank you very much... ;) :p (Probably why I'm hopeless with engines.)

It's the LXI version, if that makes any difference.

I really am loathe to part with it. Do you think this will be hard/expensive to fix?

I would take it to a small garage not a dealer or anything and get it checked out as there aren't many places for it to leak from

Hey, I'm a -she-, thank you very much... ;) :p (Probably why I'm hopeless with engines.)

Sorry about that, quick post and assumptions. I know plenty of blokes who are utterly useless with cars, so it's not a sex thing.

I really am loathe to part with it. Do you think this will be hard/expensive to fix?

No, a decent garage will find and sort the problem easily - as said above, there's not many places for it to leak, and the Skoda is a simple engine...

The Megane wasn't my choice. I wanted the Fabia estate, but it was over budget. ;) It's one of the older, better looking ones if that helps.

My Skoda is going up for sale on Monday. I can't keep him. I might cry.

Edited by Distracted_writer

is it possible it's coming from the dipstick? [hole]

In the past, i have had senior moments and forgotten to replace the plastic clip when taking a peep at the temp sensor [on the thermostat housing]....said sensor popped in and out, dumping coolant onto the exhaust....the clue for me was lots of white smoke coming from under the car at 60mph!

Followed by a pain on my forehead where I hit it......and a careful trip back home for more coolant....[plastic clip was where I'd left it.......in the glove box!]