I'm joining the Superb "club" in about September. Ordered a 1.8TSi SE Plus Estate in Petrol Blue (with some extras). It's replacing a SEAT Alhambra which fits nicely on the double deck Eurotunnel shuttles. I envisage occasionally needing a roof box on these journeys. Does anyone know of one that provides an overall height of less than 1.85m when mounted on a Superb Estate with normal roofbars? Thanks in advance

Have a look at the Thule Dynamic 800. It is 34cm in height and the skoda is afaik 146 making the height 1,80m plus the gab between box and roof.

There is a recess that swallows the bars so they can actually be a bit higher than the remaining 5cm - but my car has a rail so i don't now about the height of standard roofbars.

The now discontinues thule spirit 780 is only 33cm - you might be able to find it at a good price

Edited by majland

We have just sold our Dynamic 800 and bought a Motion 900 instead. So with the capacity of the trunk we now have 1.2m3 (1.2 cubic meters) of luggage space. With the big Motion 900 i guess that my superb is ~1,90-1.95m heigh (can just get it into the garage with the box on with less than 5cm to spare and the opening is less than 2meter)

The Motion 900 is 47cm in height and the Dynamic 800 is 34cm - So my gues is that on an estate with square bars / thule rapid 761 with feet 755/757 the height of the dynamic is 177 to 182cm. i,e less than the 185cm. So it really depends on the height of the carriers. My Thule Rapid is old and was bought used arround 2000/2001 and server me on several cars. Has just replaced the square bars to the correct length.

The newer fittings are probably not higher than their old one

But i saw the Ranger 500 - that might also be what you are looking for - if you can stuff evrything in with the passengers when entering the train and fold it flat for the train journey.

http://www.roofracks.co.uk/thule/Roof+Box+and+Car+Roof+Pod/Thule+Ranger+90+500+Softbox+Foldaway/

Thanks. Ranger 500 looks to be just within the height with normal roofbars. There are also some bars that are barely higher then the rails. I just missed out on some on eBay - rats - for about £70 as there, new are about £160!

As i don't need to take the car on the train 'till next March, I'm going to wait 'till I've taken delivery and then do some careful measurement!!

Thanks again, Majland, for the help.