Difference

kr04

theres a few differencs, egr is vacuum operated on the asz, vs electricly on a blt, something to do with the gasket on a blt is different too. Tax is less on the blt cos the emissions are slightly better

ASZ is the older engine meeting EU3 emmision regs. BLT introduced late 2005 meeting EU4. Popular opinion is that the BLT puts out more like 150BHP rather than the rated 130BHP.

BLT has the "stutter" which annoyed many and didn't bother the majority - it kicks in at about 1800rpm on a light throttle and makes the car jerky to drive on occasion. It can be fixed by replacing the standard EGR gasket witha 25mm hole for one with a 9mm hole, but it may cause the emmisions warning light to illuminate during light throttle driving. There is a guide at http://www.fabia-vrs.com/technical-info/blt-engine-hesitation-fix/.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume the SE's being 2007 will have the BLT engine ? Mine has a stutter around 1800 - 2000 rpm but only started doing it recently (car 96k miles, I've owned it for approx 18 months) Could this be a sign the EGR vlave is mucked up? Only run it on branded shell / BP diesel with every 4th tank being Ultimate or V-Power.

Anything more that rumour on the power output of the BLT engine?

Mine sometime has a bit of a stutter. I replaced the EGR valve and then it started. VW now supply an upgraded EGR valve so that may be the cause. It's a bit annoying but I can live with it.

SN