lights failure

Hi, I have this showing on my dash, it started when the high level brake light went out (subsequently found to be ok) and no matter how many times I check or fiddle with the bulbs the warning still shows.

I have just had the wiring checked out to prevent any faults due to the dreaded water ingress and it appears I caught it just in time, loom was damp so this has been dried out, ecu looks like it has been replaced and was sprayed up inside with wd40, all wiring and connectors checked, no corrossion or breaks, but the warning light still appears, it is also sparodic, sometimes it is fine and then for no apparent reason comes back on, still no lights out, anyone any comments or ideas and suggestions???

One suggestion I have had is that the dash instrument might be at fault, but this sounds a long expensive solution...

Your didn't give the year but...

Did you replace the high level brake lights with the right bulbs?

If you are sure that you did, then check the white connector (red/yellow wire) behind the left 'A' pillar trim and the brown wire from the high level brake light until meets the brown wire from the other rear lights.

It won't be the dash but it could be the bulb failure unit. It is on the relay plate under the dash and looks like a double width relay (position 2/3).