canon lens upgrade

feebs

Hi All

I am looking into a lens upgrade for general use.

I currently have

a 450d which came with the 18-55 lens and i have a 70-300 sigma

I was

after a more general lens to replace my 18-55 with

i am torn between 2

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...=7799&sd=specs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-18-125...pr_product_top

any advice please? i am leaning towards the sigma atm

tar

Phil

I use a Canon 15-85mm lens on my 550 and find it covers most of my photographic requirements.

Only downside (apart from cost) is the weight, but I've got used to it now.

Not used either of those lenses you've listed but here's a couple of reviews from a site I always use when looking for info on lenses etc. Usually very thorough tests, then followed by some real user reviews. From those reviews I would say the Sigma edges it. Although Amazon have the aperture listed wrong. Its actually 3.8-5.6 on that lens and not the 3.5-5.6 that Amazon qoute.

Canon 18-135mm

Sigma 18-125mm

Hope this helps

Dazz

I use a Canon 28-135 IS USM as a walkaround lens it serves me very well, OK you lose a bit at the wide end, but I find that it does suffer a bit with distortion. The drawback is it's ~£20 more but I think it's more usable throughout the range.

I use canon 70-200mm it's a great lense but quite pricey. I get most my things from eBay some people sell their gear on the cheap so maybe worth getting a used that been looked after and save a few bucks

• 2 weeks later...

First of all if you havent ordered your lens yet DO NOT use SimplyElectronics, just google them to see the horror stories about them!

have a look on CameraPricebuster.co.uk I can also recommend flashcamera.co.uk, Ian the guy that runs it is a member on a few of the photography forums and i've got most of my gear from him (70-200 f2.8 IS, 16-35 f2.8, 580exII, 1.4x extender(so spent quite a bit of money with him))

Flash Camera appears to be grey imports, and not very-well priced grey imports at that... I'd avoid!

Yes his stock is from America but with a Uk VAT invoice, Canon have also honoured warranty work and cash back schemes on items he has supplied, although the warranty point is moot as Canon Lenses are covered by an International warranty whereas Bodys come with a regional one

I dont think £209 for the 18-135 Canon is a bad price?? the same lens from digitalrev or onestop digital in HongKong is around £235 + any VAT/Duty if its stopped (although i think they may refund this is you have to pay).

If you do a search on the popular photography forums (POTN, TalkPhotography, AVfoums) for 'Kerso' the guy who runs the website you'll find hundreds of posts about the quality of he's service. :happy:

Still, many of the same people will talk bad about the other companies doing grey imports. Paid UK VAT or not, it's still a grey import, which I wouldn't touch.

I'm currently looking at a Canon 7D with 18-135mm lens, £1199 from them, about £100 more to get a genuine UK model, can pay less than a grand elsewhere for a grey import...

Oh I would partially agree on body's I would definitely weigh up the possible pros and cons but when it comes to lenses especially Canon (and Nikon who I believe also have international warranty on lenses) I think its a no brainer, your getting exactly the same product, with the same warranty, from the same production line but with a big cost saving, the only reason the next lens I buy might not be a grey import is because a friend of mine now works for Canon and gets a staff discount which brings prices below grey prices ;)

What do you regularly photograph ?

How much of the 18-55mm range do you currently use - mostly the bottom or top end or all of it ?

How fast a lens do you want ?

You could look at this.. http://www.parkcameras.com/96/Canon-EF-S-17-85mm-f-4-0-5-6-IS-USM.html

which is a big step up from your current kit lens, but dependent upon use I'd also think anout a prime lens which will get you much better image clarity than any zoom lens..

20mm or 24mm EF f2.8 - used ca £220-250

28mm f1.8 - used similar price

all above 370-420 new - maybe cheaper elsewhere than this link... http://www.parkcameras.com/c/68/Canon-Fit-SLR-Lenses.html?fbrand=4&Page=1&fgroup=14

The difference in lens quality is noticeable, but a prime lens needs a bit more planning (or later cropping) and commitemnt from the user than the convenience of a zoom.

Visit a local retailer, ask to try a few lenses on you camera, take images on each lens in the shop, or through the shop door and then look at the images when you get home. Most local camera shops would be happy to do this, if they aren't find another. You'll also find many will match internet prices, even if their shelf prices look uncompetitive.