Pure Highway 300Di DAB / Alpine EZi-DAB into Columbus via MDI?

Most will already be aware of these DAB solutions;

http://www.pure.com/...roduct=VL-61716

http://www.alpine-eu...dab3842/ezi-dab

The Alpine is made by Pure and in my opinion is rather better looking... and often comes with an amplified internal glass mount aerial which is arguably neater than the undoubtedly more efficient Pure glass mount external one. However, my question is this;

In each case tha main DAB receiver unit is controlled from the small external controller which slides in and out of a dash mounted cradle and is connected to its main unit via a mini USB plug in the cradle.

If the mini USB plug in the cradle was instead plugged into a mini USB adapter into the MDI port, where fitted, would a Columbus unit control the main receiver unit in place of the dash mounted controller?

I put this to Pure and the response was that it hadn't been tested being used in that way and therefore it couldn't be recommended in case it caused a problem. Being a bit of a fool I read between the non existent lines and read into that that it might work. Their engineer did say that he would pass it on to the development engineers and assuming he wasn't just being polite that would be 'nice'....particularly if it did work and they could offer the kit without the dash mount controller..

But.....I know there are technically savvy people here...what do you think?

My Superb still sits forlornly at the docks in Germany (a whole week now!) otherwise I would be sorely tempted to get one and plug it in anyway...I just love the smell of electrical smoke in the morning!

JimB

Edited by Claymore

• 2 weeks later...

I too would love to know if this solution would work?

My superb elegance estate is likely to be delivered in Oct'12

Keep me updated please!

Farley. I'm still trying to make a decision on this but currently suffering brain damage trying to work through and undestand the manuals for the Superb and Columbus.

In another thread I pointed out a simpler solution;

http://www.amazon.co...42514396&sr=8-7

Look for the review by Matt748 dated 29/12/2011. You can plug in to the Aux in inside the arm rest.

I recommend one of these to replace the headphones and to plug in;

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

I'm currently using the older version of the Pure Move 2500 with a one foot version of the above lead. I have now ordered a 3 feet one as the shorter one makes the whole thing almost impossible to handle once you're strapped in and it isn't possible to get the radio within sight.

Reception is good. It will be even better with the 3 feet cable.

However, if you went down the Pure Highway 300di route you could have one installed by Halfords for just about double the cost of the Move.

I know at least one other forum member has gone for the Move 2500 solutoion and the last I saw he seemed pleased with the result.

Don't forget that Amazon isn't always the best deal these days.Jim

Edited by Claymore

• 1 year later...

Rather than jumping in with a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one as I have, last week, had a Pure Highway 300Di DAB fitted and integrated into my Yeti's Bolero by my local Skoda dealer for the princely sum of £279 all in. 

Considering Halfords currently want £150 for the 300Di DAB unit, plus installation kit / loom, plus aerial plus fitting I thought £279 was a pretty fair price.  I also get the benefit of knowing that the technicians who fit it (should) know what they are doing.

I got my Yeti back on Saturday morning but only really got to listen to the DAB commuting this morning.  The installation is really neat with only the DAB unit in its cradle on show and a USB lead socket in the glove box.  There is no external sign of the aerial so I'm wondering where that actually is.

My staple diet in the morning is Radio5Live on 909MW and having tuned in on DAB I couldn't believe I was listening to the correct station. I flicked back & forth between DAB and MW a couple of times and the difference is quite amazing.

Instead of the presenters sounding like they are in some sort of echo box (and I thought the MW reception on my Bolero is pretty good) its as if, on DAB, I'm in the studio with them. The sound quality is so good; its scary.

Finally, I urge anyone considering an 'aftermarket' DAB unit to get down to your dealer asap, not least because my dealer's Service Manager reckons Skoda have got the price wrong on the 300Di and it should be at least another £50 more than the £279 I was charged. Mind you, if it was more I might not have gone ahead with it.

Guy

• Like 1