Scangauge E on Fabia 1.4 MPI 8V (OBD II)

Hi all,

I bought a Scangauge E ( http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugee/ ) so that I could get a MPG reading on the Fabia 1.4 MPI 8V (2001 Y plate). It connects via the diagnostic port behind the cubby-hole and works to some extent. I can get pretty much all the gauges it supports, e.g speed, ign timing, closed / open loop mode, rpm etc. What doesn't work is the MPG reading or MPG related gauges (the main reason I bought it). All these say 9999 MPG, like its not getting any injector pulse / fuelling information. It connects via ISO mode. Mines the basic Classic trim car, but I'm wondering was the fuel economy gauge an option?

Does the Siemens ECU not provide this information or is there something wrong with my car? It has an LPG conversion so I'm wondering if that may be interfering with it.

Anybody have any idea?

Thanks

If I'm honest I thought all fabias had the basic fuel computer built in controlled by the two buttons on the tip of the right had wiper stalk. Mines a classic and I have 3 different mpg readouts avaliable on the small screen in the rev counter.

My 2002 1.4mpi Blackline (based on the base classic trim) doesn't have it. There's no buttons on the right hand stalk. The manual itself makes it clear this feature is not on all models.

It has an LPG conversion so I'm wondering if that may be interfering with it.

I can't think what the setting affects, but out of interest have you got the fuel type set to lpg? I seriously doubt it will make any difference but you could try it in both lpg and petrol settings?

Re. some models displaying mpg and others not, this doesn't necessarily mean that the ECU doesn't log this data in both case, it could just mean that displaying this info. isn't enabled on lower spec. models. Although the OP's finding may suggest his ECU doesn't log mpg.

[i don't have a Scangauge e but was considering buying one and so was nosing at the manual earlier, and came across this post while searching for info.]

Edited by Ultrasonic

Reading through the manual for my own interest I spotted on p.41 a troubleshooting question saying that some gauges may be blank if the ECU does not report them. I wonder if the fact yours reports 9999 mpg (rather than being blank) suggests a different issue? Think I'd contact Linear Logic to see what they have to say.

Have reported to Linear Logic and UKOBD (where I got it from). Awaiting response. In the meantime, I'm using it to monitor engine load, which I'm using as a crude measure of economic driving.

As a side note - I've checked the gas implementation and its not connected to the ECU at all. It just piggybacks off the petrol injector signal, has its own map sensor, and takes an RPM signal direct from the coil. Currently managing between 25 and 33 MPG mixed driving when running on LPG, giving me 50 - 66 MPG effective. Can't really complain I guess :)

Edited by napalmdaz