Gah! Removing Nokia Phone Handsfree Help!!

Hi all,

Picked up my new Octy VRS on the weekend, and best decision i've ever made with regards to cars! Was an ex-rep car however, although its in very good nick, and not bad mileage too. However there was a massive nokia handsfree thing bolted to the side of my centre console, and it was making the carbon fibre trim come unclipped. That with the fact i don't even have a nokia, i decided to take it off. Took off the trim around the centre console and unscrewed the two screws holding that side of the stereo in place, bingo off it pops. Chop the lead on the cradle and tuck the remaining wiring under the carpet.. job done!

However, left for work this morning, turned on the stereo and nothing.. just says "PHONE"... tried pressing the FM/AM, CD Changer button etc, nought.. just says phone :( Is there something bolted onto the back of the stereo unit itself? how do i get my tunes back :/ however it was nice listening to the whistle of the turbo down the M1 this morning! ;) hehe.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all' date='

Picked up my new Octy VRS on the weekend, and best decision i've ever made with regards to cars! Was an ex-rep car however, although its in very good nick, and not bad mileage too. However there was a massive nokia handsfree thing bolted to the side of my centre console, and it was making the carbon fibre trim come unclipped. That with the fact i don't even have a nokia, i decided to take it off. Took off the trim around the centre console and unscrewed the two screws holding that side of the stereo in place, bingo off it pops. Chop the lead on the cradle and tuck the remaining wiring under the carpet.. job done!

However, left for work this morning, turned on the stereo and nothing.. just says "PHONE"... tried pressing the FM/AM, CD Changer button etc, nought.. just says phone :( Is there something bolted onto the back of the stereo unit itself? how do i get my tunes back :/ however it was nice listening to the whistle of the turbo down the M1 this morning! ;) hehe.

Thanks in advance![/quote']

You must have shorted something out when you choped the lead.

You need to find the other end of this lead which should be a plug in to a box about the size of a packet of fags. This is normally placed behind the glove box (watched them put mine in - quite scarey just how much of the car they take out!!). Remove the plug and that should sort it. Failing that remove the power connecter from the box - the one with red black yellow and blue wires. The yellow is the one that's muting the phone.

For a short term thing, i reckon just take the bare ends of the cable you chopped and make sure nothing is touching anything else or any metal in the car - ie seperate out all the conductors and insulate them (sellotape with do short term).

Thinking on, if it's the same stereo as mine, you can go in to the menu (press and hold the tp button iirc) and navigate to the phone setup. There are then 3 options - phone on, phone off and phone in. Select phone off and i think this may sort it.

Hope you manage something. (Still, it's not a bad noise to listen to!!)

Sounds like you have a telemute fitted. When you get a phone call it mutes the stereo and plays the phone call through your car speakers.

Mine was located behind the small compartment underneath the stereo itself. Give the tray a strong tug and it should pull out. You may have to lever it at the same time with a flat bladed screwdriver.

1 - The telemute will be plugged into your harness that normally connects to the back of the stereo for the speakers.

2 - Unplug this and the other end of the telemute will be plugged into the speaker socket on the head unit.

3 - Unplug this and refit the normal plug to the head unit (point 1) and hey presto!!

Hope this helps