Yeti Rival Dacia Duster Irish Pricing

Photoemt

Dacia have launched the Duster in Ireland with a view to delivery in January 2013.

At present they only have a fleet of left hand drive demonstrators available which would suggest that production of the right hand model has not even started yet.

It's available in 110bhp 1.5 DCi only at two trim levels and a four wheel drive version,

The advertised pricing is as follows: Base model 14,990, higher spec 16990, 4x4 higher spec 18990. All fall into the 225 euro road tax bracket. Only three colours are available: White, metallic black and silver metallic. Metallic paint is an extra 500 euro and an extended 5 year warrenty is 550 euro. Add in delivery charges at 600 euro.

I can see a lot of people being tempted at that pricing bearing in mind that Renualt heavily discounted the Fluence and Clio here over the last few years to increase market share. The big knock will be in resale value.

I don't know if there is much rivalry between the two. Both have 5 people capacity, but Yeti can "swallow" them with luggage too ... 4x4 Duster's boot capacity is ridiculusly low.

Not to mention all the other important differences.

Yeh I'm not how well the 90's looking dashboard of the Dacia will go down.

I can see buyers who don't really care about what car they drive, picking this up because of its price and driving it til it falls apart (hopefully more than five years down the line). I pass a dealership on the way home so I might drop in to see what they look like in the flesh. Interesting that they are launching in 2013 as Dealers here are already worried about a drop in sales due to people not wanting 13 on their number plate.

There is not going to be any haggeling/discounts apparently when they go on general sale-Dacia say the prices are such a bargain in the first place they do not see any reason to negotiate over the OTR price.

I can see buyers who don't really care about what car they drive, picking this up because of its price and driving it til it falls apart

Hey - Duster is a really fine car! And its price is brilliant too. And I believe that the guts inside, although not the most advanced, are reliable too. If it only had bigger trunk I would consider buying it instead of Yeti (in which I've fallen in love) because of a price difference. But the trunk is small (especially in 4x4) ...

Just had a look on the what car website and in all fairness the Dacia gets a good review, quite harsh and un refined but what would you expect for a cheap car, it may be an alternative to the Yeti but I am certain we won't be seeing the demand for it as we have seen for the Yeti or the long waits either.

Given the reviews its getting demand could be quite good over here, particularly as they are pushing its price tag as the big selling point. The following is an example of the reviews its getting in the motoring press over here:

"Whatever the more appropriate label, with a price tag of just €14,990, the equivalent to that of a superminis - the Duster is described by its promoters, with considerable justification, as "shockingly affordable", a claim deriving from the fact that it comes to market almost €8,000 cheaper than its nearest, well-established rival, the top-selling Nissan Qasqai.

As Renault bosses stressed, the crossover segment is the fastest growing here, and is up 9 per cent YTD on 2011. Almost 90 per cent of vehicles in the segment, they pointed out, are over €22,500 to buy new, or €24,500 to have the same diesel engine as the best seller in the segment (aka the Qasqai).

The Duster will be available in Ireland in both 4x2 and 4x4 guises with one diesel engine size, the 1.5 dCi 110bhp putting it into in Band B (similar to the Qasqai) with just two trims, Alternative 4x2 and Signature 4x2, and 4x4. It comes with a three-year unlimited mileage warranty which can be lengthened to a full five years for an extra €500 or so.

A left-hand version of the Duster can be viewed and trialled at Dacia's nine Renault dealerships around the country from this Friday 27 July where, it was stressed, the brand will be housed in the same showrooms but separately to Renault with its own dedicated sales personnel. At a time when cash is tight, it might be worth noting that where financing is required, an attractive package, spread over 36 months, will be available allowing buyers to drive away a new car for €149 per month.

Though you would expect them to say it, if you are smitten by the Duster, a product of the Renault-Nissan alliance and, it is claimed, now the fastest growing brand in Europe, it might also be worth noting that following the launch of the car in 2010, demand was such that it resulted in a six-month waiting list in Germany and France.

The Dacia brand came to the fore in 2004 with the Logan, which sold 65,000 units in the first year. In 2010 Dacia became France’s fourth bestselling brand and the Duster the bestselling 4x4 there. Eight years on it now has five more models under its belt and these will arrive on these shores in due course. Since 2004 more than 1.8m Dacia models have been sold.

It's not difficult to identify the reasons why. Apart from price, of course, and based on the experience of a brief drive over but a cleverly constructe test course comprising flat and undulating terrain in the environs of Tinakilly, the Duster proved itself a nimble mover. It looks well, too, managing to marry a degree of compactness with genuinely chunky off-reader looks.

The cabin is sufficiently spacious and the fit-out and suspension oozes sturdiness and solidity. On the move the Duster is at all times impressively stable even over the bumpiest terrain.

On the negative side, taller drivers and passengers will find the roof line a little low when entering and exiting while, in terms of safety, it has so far achieved only three-star NCAP status. In addition, specification which lacks air-con, is relatively spartan unless you can rise to the 4x4 version which will cost you in the region of an extra €4,000.

However, even at that price, it’s hard to argue that chief among the Duster’s virtues appears to be genuine value for money and, for that reason alone; it’s well worth a test drive.

As I've commented elsewhere here, the French - who I think are on the whole much more pragmatic/utilitarian in their attitude to cars than we Brits - have taken to the Duster in huge numbers over the last couple of years. Combination of good price, practicality and extensive Renault dealership network, I guess.

As I've commented elsewhere here, the French - who I think are on the whole much more pragmatic/utilitarian in their attitude to cars than we Brits - have taken to the Duster in huge numbers over the last couple of years. Combination of good price, practicality and extensive Renault dealership network, I guess.

The French are always loyal to Renault so Dacia being Renault owned would appeal to them. I reckon the pricing and value for money will be the key to its success in Ireland and the UK. Its interesting that the entry level in the UK has no radio where as Dacia Ireland decided that might be a cut too far over here. They are keen to make it look like a value for money brand but still with a quality product.